BusyBoard

August vs September, May vs June

>

PollyCarp

August vs September, May vs June
Old 08-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, just out of curiosity . . .

I'm in a part of the country where school starts right after Labor Day. Teachers didn't enter their classrooms until August 15, and the truly required training days are all after Labor Day. (PD and non-mandatory meetings have started already, of course.)

Meanwhile, my friends in other states have already had their first week of school.

I'm always jealous of them when they finish up in May, because June and July are the best months around here. But then I see them going back in August when it's hot and miserable and I'm glad I can wait until September when it's cooler and the children are easier to manage.

I was wondering, what do you all think? Do you like going back in August (or September)? Or do you wish it was the other way round for you? Why or why not?

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We go back in August and get out in late May. I would LOVE to start in September (or even the last week in August) but we have a Fall Break in October that would be gone if we did that.

So...our District starts us in August. When it's HOT, HOT, HOT.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-18-2018, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have always gone early August to mid May. I wouldnít know anything else. We sometimes end up going until June with snow days. I had just as soon be out cooler days in summer. Itís hot in August. Iím okay being inside in the air conditioning.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

1stTeacherPF

Old 08-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We go back after Labor Day and get out in June. I like it!
1stTeacherPF is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have the earlier schedule with starting in early August and getting out around Memorial day. A previous school followed the September-mid June schedule.

I prefer my current schedule. Even though of course it's the same amount of time, I like the feeling of getting out sooner for summer since I'm always really ready for that at the end of the year! By the time August rolls around, I'm typically ready to get back into my regular routine and don't mind going back too much.

One year, due to construction we went until mid-June and those last few weeks were AWFUL! It felt like summer would never come! I know it's technically still summer out in the "real world" but I always consider it to be fall when school starts, even when it's still August!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

3gradeteacher

September to June
Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We start right after Labor Day and go until the third week or so of June...June 21 is about when we get out.
Just curious who has air conditioning in their schools....NJ-no AC in the schools
3gradeteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

calendar
Old 08-19-2018, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We're on the later schedule here, but I would love the earlier if we had the AC to support it. Our high-schoolers end up having to take AP exams before they're really finished with the course.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-19-2018, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Interesting question.
I live in a different state that I teach in. The district I teach in gets out for summer break in mid May and return to school mid August.
The school district I live in, the one my children attend, gets out for summer break mid June and starts again after Labor Day.
Because of this schedule our summer is about 4 weeks shorter due to district calendars being so different.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

I'm lucky
Old 08-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I start after Labor Day and end in the first Wednesday of students in June. I love it. I get two weeks of prep before, BUT I also have a week of end of the year meetings and such. I am in California, but I am in a private school so we do not follow the same calendar as public. Public has shorter days but more days to teach in the year. I have longer days and less teaching days. I'll stick to a September start.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Quote:
Just curious who has air conditioning in their schools....NJ-no AC in the schools
I'm in CO and have worked in 3 districts that all had AC, even though the buildings were really old. However, our large city district doesn't in many buildings and I know they have had to close on really high heat days. They also run on a different schedule than most other metro districts-late August to mid-June.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MntnHiker

Old 08-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We go until late May and return mid-August. I like it. My school has AC, and I hate hot weather, so I don't mind being inside while it's hot in August.

Maybe because it's all I've known as a teacher and a student, but I think it would be miserable to go until late June. It might be, too, that a lot of the fun summer activities my city offers starts in early June and I am used to taking a vacation in June, so it just would seem weird to be in school at that time.
MntnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Here
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

in SW Mo, we go mid August to mid May. I really prefer that because I like June better than August.

Also, we do have AC in all of our buildings. We have in all three districts I've been part of.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Our students
Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

attend from the day after Labor Day until mid-June. We start a week earlier and end a couple of days later. This is the same schedule that I had in New York, although we went longer in June because of the Regents exams. (We had longer breaks there, too.)

It's what I prefer. I have always felt like Labor Day was the official end of summer. It's still hot here though. It wasn't as hot in September in New York.

Our school just got AC a couple of years ago. Before that it was horribly miserable.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 08-19-2018, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Oh my word. We have AC and we're on the west coast and don't even need it. I'm so sorry.
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I like what we have: going back in August, getting out the last day of May. I would rather get out early because in my experience kids are done by late April, and though we have air conditioning it gets hot in our building. The last class day this past year I had to take a shower when I got home; it was that stuffy. It's even worse at our non-air conditioned high school. I would not want to be there the first day of June at all. I don't know how our summer school teachers do it.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I taught in air conditioned and non-air conditioned buildings, and the difference is vast. Sorry if you do not have it. That makes it so rough.

The worst part is that the high school where I used to work had no air-conditioning AND a pervasive dirty sock smell. I had to shower every day after school for four or five months of the year.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 08-28-2018, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We go back after Labor Day. We are in the Northeast and have snowy winters. Very often we go beyond our allotted snow days and have to add on to the end of the year. Contractually we can't go beyond June 30. We have had to give up Good Friday and also go for half-days on Saturdays to make up missed school days. It's way too hot to hold school in late June. The kids and the teachers are DONE! Most schools here do not have AC. In MHO, kids (and often times, teachers) are excited to go back to school at the end of August. So I would be in favor of that. With all that being said... I truly can't ever see that changing in our community as most of the families have vacation homes and stay there right through Labor Day.
NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote