BusyBoard

CPR in schools

>

Jamie Moss

Jamie Moss

CPR in schools
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you feel about teachers being trained in CPR? Do your schools require it? If not, do you think they should? If they do, do you have a problem with it? I'm trying to write a paper about the need for more than 5 percent of the teachers in a building to be certified in CPR. Any responses you give will be valued. Thank you!

New Mex Teacher

Cpr
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it's a good idea, but then again I think everyone should be trained in CPR. It's not required at our school, but the principal is thinking of holding a certification class for interested staff. Our school has a number of fragile children. Requiring people is always iffy because there are always those who as soon as something is required they start to fight it.
New Mex Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Patty

Cpr
Old 06-19-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my school it is part of our inservice. I am not sure if our principal would "require" it someone threw a fit, but as far as I know all faculty and staff are trained in CPR. Personally, I think it is a great idea. You never know when someone will need it.
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote

speeder1

Old 06-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it is a great idea. All of the para's at my school has to be certified every year but teachers do not, does not make much sense to me.

At the end of this school year a school nearby had a student to collaps during an end of the year fun day. Thank goodness several teachers knew how to do CPR because the boy stopped breathing and his heart stopped as well. The boy is doing fine now but they don't know why he collapsed.
speeder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Cpr
Old 06-23-2006, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We also have CPR as part of our summer in-service. All the teachers, as well as yard duties, are involved, but surprisingly, the office staff is not (and they take care of a majority of ailments in the office!). We get certified each year in CPR, and every other year in First Aid.

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1st

Cpr
Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This year, we all must attend a CPR/First Aid inservice. All of our aides have already been certified since they do lunchroom duty. I think it is a good idea for anyone who deals with children on a daily basis to be trained. I for one will feel more prepared.
teach1st is offline   Reply With Quote

anm

Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it is a good idea, you never know what can happen. My only concern is the legal ramifications for intervening in a medical situation. God forbide something went wrong with the CPR. It just scares me as sue happy as people are these days.
anm is offline   Reply With Quote

Patty

What they tell me is...
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that if you only do what you are trained for then you are not liable. The person who does the training should have information regarding your state's laws and limitations. My state has a good samaritan law -- as long as I do only what I am trained for, or that is reasonable for a private citizen to do, I am not liable if something goes wrong. If you come across a conscious person in distress, you must tell them what you have been trained in and ask if you can help them, if they refuse aid then you can not; but if you come across an unconscious person, then you assume "implied consent".

I too worry about legal issues, but, speaking for myself, I would rather help someone than not, if I am able.
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote