Help

BusyBoard

Homework Punch Card

>

lnyeager

Homework Punch Card
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm thinking of trying Homework Punch Cards this year with my 3rd graders. My kiddos last year were so bad about turning in their homework, so I figured I needed to come up with some sort of incentive.
For those of you who use punch cards for homework, can you explain to me how you use them? I plan on punching them each day when homework is turned in and completed well. I was thinking of starting out with 10 punches and working up to 15, then 20. My concerns: When do you punch the cards? Where are the cards kept? What is the reward for filling a card? Do the kids all get new cards at the same time, or whenever their is filled?

**I have a beach theme. Does anyone have one already created with that theme?**

lnyeager is offline   Reply With Quote

WPE08

Homework cards
Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would also be interested in trying Homework cards too. I am also a 3rd grade teacher. We assign HW 3 days a week and I would check it every morning which took a lot of time...only to find that it made me upset because the students who needed to be doing it, were not. I have seen people that do poster sized BINGO boards or a Homework Grid. If students have completed all HW for the night, they write their name in a space on the grid. Once the grid is filled, you draw a number and award the students in that box a prize of your or their choice. For example, down one side of the poster you might have HOMEWORK and the other side could be numbers 1-? and then you draw one letter and one number. I do this for our computer program, SuccessMaker, if students earn an 80% or higher. I allow 5 names in one box.

If you decide on the HW cards, let me know how you do it. One problem I had with my behavior punch cards, was that students constantly lost them so I would suggest keeping these in a little coupon type organizer. YOu might even have one student who helps you do this all year long. He/She might be the homework checker too once they know what they are looking for. Allow students to get new cards as theirs are filled. You might have an incentive for 10 punches, 20 punches, 30 punches, 40 punches, etc. Or in increments of 5. Hope this helps.
WPE08 is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

stamps
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a problem in second grade last year with homework. So I got those little pads of incentive sheets. They have 25 spaces on a sheet. They were taped inside their homework folder. Every day when we collected homework, I stamped the sheet if they had all of their homework. When they had 20 stamps (I used pencil top stamps that I got in the dollar section at Target.), they got a crayon. I made the crayons by melting crayons and cooling them in canyd molds. It could be any small reward. They had to have the incentive sheet to get the stamp. If they lost the paper and couldn't find it for several days, I would eventually give them a new one. It didn't take long to stamp the papers. One tip--I didn't use the same stamp each day so I could tell if I missed a paper.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used homework punch cards last year and loved them, and more importantly, my students loved them! The cards were just ones that I purchased at the local teacher store. They had 20 places for punches. When the students filled one up, they received a free homework pass. (I have both one assn homework passes and one whole night that I used.) I think I also gave away pencils, bookmarks, and whatnot since I had a plethora of them collected. Heh.

I gave 1 punch for each day they completed ALL of the homework. If someone did something only partially or forgot something, they didn't get a punch that day. It was a 100% or nothing, and they were cool with that.

I check in homework each morning as they are arriving and getting started on their morning work. After all homework is checked in, I call them up by # (because that's how my checklist is labeled) to punch their cards. If someone has a question about why their name/# wasn't called, I tell them what they missed. (Most of them know by then because I would have had a quick conversation about missed work with them when I checked in their agenda/homework.)

Oh, and I used a star-punch, which they loved!

I forgot to add, they keep their punch cards at their desks. They are supposed to have a pencil case, so most of them keep it in there. I've had some kids makea pocket in their agenda for it. They're so creative. They know that the card is like money - if they lose it, it's gone.

(I teach intermediate grades, by the way.)

Hope that helps!

Last edited by maggiehgs; 07-29-2010 at 03:32 PM..
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote
luvtulearn
Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
This message has been deleted by luvtulearn. Reason: I don't like my idea after thinking it through!

tmar

Homework Cards
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've used them for the past 2 years. I use the premade ones from Schoolbox. The first year I gave the cards to the kids and they had to keep up with them but that didn't work with all of them. Last year since I had mostly EIP kids, I used a magnetic clip and just clipped the stack on my whiteboard. Then I would take them, call their names and collect homework and punch their cards. When the card was full, they got to go to my prize box.

tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You might check this thread: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=169820
NeeCee created SO many punch cards. I saw this posted somewhere else the other day. Once you're at this thread, check post # 48 for a beach card that she made.

Last edited by bGracie; 07-29-2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added something
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

misscrig

Hollywood/movie theme
Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here is one that I made. When it is filled, the student can use it as a no homework pass.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Movie homework.pdf (220.8 KB, 282 views)
misscrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinky2355

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for posting your punch card. Very creative!
Pinky2355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Love2Learn2

Love them!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been using them for about three years with my third graders and they love them. I made my cards on Print shop. They all have a theme. For example, this month was your homework has captured my heart and I use a heart punch. Once they finish it they move on to the next card and they get something from my fun box. I have treats, pencils, shacks, small toys, free hwk passes, etc.
Love2Learn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I used homework punch card
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had mine printed by Vista Print. I write their name in ink on the back before I give it to them. They keep it in their desk. When I check homework in the morning I punch them for the students if they have everything completed. Each card has 10 punches. On the tenth punch it can be redeemed as a homework pass. Then I give them a new card to start the next day. If they lose their card with punches too bad. I do give new ones out at the beginning of each month if needed, so they can try again. It is my first year to use this system. It works well. It is pretty easy to keep up with and the students seem to like it as well.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Hammerhead

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love all these punch card ideas!
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote

teacheru4

Homework incentives
Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have used HOT-tickets( Homework on Time) I got this idea from mailbox and it greatly inproved my students abilities. Students who had their homework were given a ticket to put their name on. These were dropped into a can as they left the room. At the end of the week I drew out a few for random rewards Homework pass, sit with a friend, etc. This was great motivation for my 2nd graders.
teacheru4 is offline   Reply With Quote