Help

BusyBoard

A group for this, a group for that...

>

HavnFun

A group for this, a group for that...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have small groups for math, reading/writing, and spelling. How would you go about displaying these groups for students to see and know which group they are in? Suggestions?? TIA

HavnFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Antique Tchr

Designate
Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

a shape, color, number, and/or something that goes with your class theme for each group. Then each child is assigned the appropriate groups. Sam might be a Red Diamond, Two, Seashell.
Antique Tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

flexible
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My groups are all flexible groupings so I just call names. I try really hard to switch groups around often so that the kids don't start labeling low and high groups. I may pull for a specific skill, interest or ability.
AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

HavnFun

I try to be flexible but...
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

reality is most, not all, of my groups remain the same.
HavnFun is offline   Reply With Quote

booksrfun3

Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I type the different groups (I only type the students' names, I don't label the group - i.e. Reading #2)on my computer. Then I print each group on a different colored paper. The nice thing with all of the different groups all on a different colored paper, no one (including parents) knows who is in the high group. I hang all of the papers on a clothes line near my group table. Some students may be in 4 different groups (i.e.: reading, math, writing, fine-motor skills) while some are only in 3 groups (reading, math, and writing) and others are in 5 groups (reading, math, spelling, fine-motor skills, and organization). I don't meet with every group everyday, but when I do have extra time it's nice to have the group ready to go. Since the groups are typed and saved on the computer, it's fairly simple to shift groups around and reprint whenever someone makes improvement.

booksrfun3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I write reading group names on easel and call them "Round 1", "Round 2", etc. I had a bunch of my lower kids pulled Round 4 so it ended up being one of the higher groups each time. My kids caught on to that quickly. I think it will work better as kids won't be pulled during Daily 5.

I write the spelling groups on the same easel.

For math, I group with a couple other teachers and so kids just remember which teacher they have. We switch every 2-3 weeks and try to flip-flop around high-med-low.
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermo

Magnetic dry erase boards
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use magnetic dry erase boards. I divide them into as many sections as you need with colored electric tape. I then type out their names in word in a large font on colored cardstock and laminate and place magnets on the back. Different color cardstock for each type of group.

Now here is the good part...I put numbers in each section and only the numbers move not the kids names. This way you move very little, fast and efficient. I trained ONE kid to do it last year and wouldn't let anyone else mess with it. Didn't take a lot of space, was easy for kids to see, and easy to change the groups anytime.
teachermo is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't have static groups. For math I create a table with rotations/names in it. For the others, which occur during Daily5, I just tell them at the beginning who is with me when.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote