Help

BusyBoard

To all your Bucket Fillers Out there...

>

LuvAGoodBook

To all your Bucket Fillers Out there...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have decided to take a stab at bucket filling this year. I think it is a great way to incorporated some character education. I purchased the buckets off of oriental trading and the pom poms to fill the buckets. I have read the website and scholastic article. NOW, I have some more questions.

What kind of shoe organizer did the buckets fit into?

I want to reuse the buckets every year. So was thinking of putting numbers (the students all get a number) instead of their names on the buckets, so that I can reuse them. BUT, I wanted to put a sticker on the label each time the student filled their bucket. BUT then I cannot reuse them every year because they will have stickers all over them. And after a few years the thickness of label on label will get gross. Any suggestions?

Do you allow your students to fill someone else bucket for ANYTHING? Or do you go over what they can fill someones bucket for?

Management tips? Is it disruptive during the day?

How did you explain this to parents at back to school night?

TIA

LuvAGoodBook is offline   Reply With Quote

alb26

Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used a shoe organizer this year and put in clear plastic cups with the students names. The plastic cups were fairly inexpensive and then I could just stick the stickers on every time they filled it. I teach third grade, so I used a bucket filling form from Beth Newingham's website. It worked really well. The students filled out the forms for the nice things they had done and put them in a marked container. Once a day I went through and quickly read them myself and then we filled the buckets. We often did it during snack time which worked out well too. I plan on doing it again - the students were extra aware of doing nice things for one another because of it.
alb26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Logicat

stickers
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there is room in the pocket, you could copy a graphic of the bucket (shrink to fit) onto cardstock, put that in front of the bucket (or maybe clip to the pocket?), then the students could put their names and stickers on the cards, which they can keep at the end of the year.
Logicat is offline   Reply With Quote

runteacher

Pom pom Question
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So, I don't know exactly how the pom poms fit in. Do you have the students fill out a form and then after you read it to the class, that student gets to put a pom pom in another student's bucket? Then what do you do when their bucket is full?
runteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

majorr

Bucket fillers
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used a regular clear shoe organizer I got from Walmart. It works really well. I did not put a sticker on their bucket every time they filled it. I had a chart on the wall next to the buckets with each child's name on it. When they filled their bucket, they just colored in one box next to their name. I put their names on a name tag and attached it to the shoe organizer above each bucket instead of labeling the buckets. I also did not allow the students put a pompom in anyone else's bucket. If I saw something or was told about something that was worth a pompom then the child who did it got to put it in their own bucket. I did not find this system to be disruptive. If we were in the middle of something and I observed someone who deserved a pompom then I told them and they put it in when we were done. As for explaining it on back to school night, I just explained that this system is a very visual way to reinforce and reward students who make good choices and think about others even when nobody is watching. My class last year became so caring towards each other that you could tell it had become second nature. I love this system! i hope this helps clear some things up. Everybody does it a little bit different. You just have to adapt it to what works for you.

majorr is offline   Reply With Quote

suziesosa

I also use Bucket Fillers!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love using bucket filling in my classroom. I have used a shoe organizer cut in half. I have also put a label on each bucket, but plan on adding a new sticker on top for next year. I will reuse them year after year. The students fill out their bucket filler form ONLY when they have finished their work, or at a center time. I put in place strict rules so it doesnt take away from classroom work time. Every other week I pull out some of the comment cards and share them with the group during morning meeting or in the afternoon. I think it works really well! If you want to see a picture from my website, it's close to the bottom of this page:
https://www.teacherweb.com/FL/Sexton...Lak/apt11.aspx
Hope this helps!
suziesosa is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got the tin pails from oriental trading and used the small 3 m hooks to hang them on my wall. (Wish I took a picture, but will be back in tomorrow...) I put their names because I put a gift in it for the end of the year.
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

loves2reed

suziesosa you have an amazing room
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

thanks for sharing
loves2reed is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

buckets
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I didn't spend money on real buckets. Each child made their own, colored how they wanted, from a printout I found. I attached each one to a large manilla envelope and attached to a bulletin board. I made postcards from Vista Print that the kids filled in the blanks. Something like I saw _____fill someones bucket today. They_________. The child then put the postcard in the correct bucket. At the end of the week, I pass out the postcards.

At the beginning, I assign everyone a secret buddy to "spy" on and catch them filling someones bucket. That way everyone gets at least 1 card in their bucket and no feels left out.

They are allowed to fill in the cards after recess when we're doing bathrooms and drinks.

We brainstorm what kinds of things are appropriate for filling buckets. Not "She's my best friend". They need to be specific.
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote