Smart Classroom Management (and Whole Brain Teaching) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Smart Classroom Management (and Whole Brain Teaching)

>

msj5ny

Smart Classroom Management (and Whole Brain Teaching)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wish I could remember the poster who mentioned Smart Classroom Management a few days ago so I could thank her. I was all set to read up on Whole Brain Teaching but I've been reading the classroom management articles on smartclassroommanagement.com and they make so much sense. My favorite article (the one that hooked me) "Why a Letter Home is an Effective Consequence".

My brain is racing trying to find ways to integrate WBT (there are parts that I've been dying to do for a few years now) with his advice.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I have time for one more book this summer before buying his. Anyone else familiar with Michael Linsin's ideas?

msj5ny is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

THe classroom management site seems interesting. I have found myself reading for a while
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

chocaholic

me too
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and I've used Whole Brain Teaching a bit too.
Here's what I'm thinking of doing this year (in MS 6th, BTW):

I'm using the rules from Smart- and the consequences, too. I'll also use the No-go bathroom policy, the Homework Policy and the Bullying strategies. They make total sense to me- none of this working on rules together so they can "own" them...been there, done that and it is never effective and wastes so much time. Smart rules are basic and cover everything.

From WBT- I will use a lot of the procedural stuff such as:
Class-Yes
OK-Teach
Lines
Papers
Open you book to page...
It's cool
Mighty Groan
Etc.

I never could do the WBT model of the kids explaining everything to each other and switching but I did use it occasionally and, when quizzing each other for tests, my students naturally followed that model. I just couldn't keep it up all day and in every lesson. The procedural stuff worked well though.

I doubt I'll use smileys/frownies because I want students to adhere to the Smart rules and I'm not giving any rewards linked to behavior- my student will hear the message from me that "We behave because it's the right thing to do" not because someone is watching us or ready to give us a prize. I will, however, occasionally and out of the blue bring in some cookies/ice cream for the whole class (that's to make things fun) but never as a reward.

I too have been reading a lot on that site and I think it will work for me this year.
chocaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

chocaholic

oh yeah
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the hardest Smart rule for me to be consistent with is the one about raising your hand to speak or leave your seat. (Notice, BTW, how similar the WBT and Smart rules are) This mostly applies during direct instruction with the whole class. I'm also going to spend time modeling what partner work and group work looks like so that students learn to self-monitor that they are contributing without taking over the discussions. If they are in a group I'm thinking that they should raise their hands for each other and perhaps the group leader will facilitate who speaks when.
chocaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Website
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for sharing the smart classroom management site! It's wonderful!

tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

lucybrown

website
Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

WOW! I'll be reading the Smart Classroom Management website all day! So much info. Thanks for sharing!
lucybrown is offline   Reply With Quote

september22

consequences with SCM
Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Are you all planning to adhere to the consequences he suggests in Smart Classroom Management?

They are:
1. warning
2. time-out
3. letter home

After the letter home, the child is to spend the next FULL day in a time-out. He or she is then supposed to stay in this time-out until the letter is returned.

I teach in an upper-middle class public school with lots of parent involvement (helicopter/obsessed parents). I do not think they would like that consequence at all

Thoughts?
september22 is offline   Reply With Quote