Help

BusyBoard

Dream Flags

>

cassie99

Dream Flags
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I had my students make goal pennants and I hung them up on the wall around the room. This year, I want to have my kids make dream flags. I think they'll look so great hanging across our room. I bought the canvas and the acrylic paints already and now I'm trying to type up the directions. I want there to be some writing involved and then a large symbol of their hope or dream for this year, but I'm having trouble piecing this together. Has anyone else done this? Any ideas? Thanks!

cassie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whoever Cathy Cassidy is, she stole my idea! I have been making those for years.

I model them after Tibetan Prayer flags. The idea behind those is that they hang outside until they fade and fall apart- at which time the prayer comes true. They hang just like those flags she described.

I have a picture of mine from way back 9 years ago when I did student teaching. They stay up all year. I have done them every year since.

I let them design it however they want and they vary. Sometimes, depending on the age I am teaching, I give guided prompts. I have found it's actually hard for kids to do a full writing piece on what they hope for, as it's a big concept for them to consider. Most of the time, they end up writing at least a paragraph on their own, just after the discussion of what the flags will be representing.

If I give prompts, I say things like the following, and let them choose a few that "speak to them."

I hope to do:
I hope to learn:
I want to try:
I wish I could:
I want to have:

One year, I did do a circular design, which they filled it, but I think they turn out more interesting when everyone does their own thing.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

hootyowl

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for the amazing back to school idea. I have been stuck and this is absolutely perfect. I teach 5th grade and was thinking of brainstorming, then having kids web their ideas, and sticking with a single paragraph. So excited
hootyowl is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie99

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kermit, yours look great! Thanks for the ideas. This is going to be fun! I got some acrylic paint today. Is that what you use?
cassie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

MDinOH

paper question
Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What type of paper did you use? When I looked at the directions from Cathy Cassidy, it says to use A3 paper. I have never heard of that before, but I would like to have my students make a dream flag.

MDinOH is offline   Reply With Quote

cntryheart

Here's a chart
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

with paper conversions.

http://www.dpandi.com/paper/index.html

It looks like our size would be 11 x 17. However, I think you could make this project work with other sizes.
cntryheart is offline   Reply With Quote