Help

BusyBoard

need ELA performance task help

>

tia

need ELA performance task help
Old 12-08-2015, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

so i've created several Performance Tasks where students read articles and watch videos and then write an argument/claim. ie: are zoos good or bad? should our government create laws for the labeling of GMO's? create an elevator speech to respond to someone who says, "animals are dumb" etc... loads of non-fiction claims...

i found an interesting looking unit on the Smarter Balanced website a few years ago. it referenced Dorothea Lange's photography, some other Dust Bowl stuff, and the novel Out of the Dust. The students were to write a narrative piece using those resources. (i didn't copy it, but "catalogued it in my mind" now i can't access it (have to be a member to get into their library??)

i am wanting to have my students do a narrative writing piece after finishing the book, using the resources we've encountered (book, essay written by and photos of Dorothea Lange, documentary on Dust Bowl, article on Dust Bowl). i bought a $$$! unit on TPT because it mentioned a writing piece, but it didn't fit the bill (although, i've found many aspects of it helpful!) that assignment was: you are on farm in OK in 1935, write to someone in another state.

i found another unit that has this: write a poem from the point of view of the dad in the book---that's a great activity, and i may use it, but doesn't fit my SBAC-y needs.

the same unit calls for: how does author build the theme Out of the Dust from the title, setting, character....write a claim. blech. (not narrative)

a different Smarter Balanced PT (articles on robots) asks students to write a narrative about what happens when you get a robot. i can't seem to figure out how to twist that idea to work for my unit.

*Can you think of a narrative writing prompt (using info from sources) that might fit the bill? (doesn't have to be specific to the book) sigh...racking my brain and irritated that i only have a few days to prepare--we read all the factual stuff, started reading the book--and it's a quick read.

thanks in advance!!

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

challenges
Old 12-09-2015, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about having your students compare the challenge faced by the character in the novel or any of the informational text you read to a challenge they have faced. The narrative part would be writing about a challenge they or a loved one has faced.

You could also have them connect the theme of Out of the Dust and create a personal narrative that reflects the same theme only using their own life. They would need text evidence from the book to support the theme.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Ideas
Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

-Could you have them write diary entries/ or a magazine article. talking about their day to day lives.

There is a magazine called "Our Iowa" which has a diary from an Amish wife. It is pretty detailed as to her daily routine. Maybe you could show them an example of this.

-Letters to someone back home describing their life- I know you mentioned this -

Prompt - Write a letter to your best friend back home. Describe what your life is like. Include details from pictures we have examined, along with details from the story.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

thank you
Old 12-10-2015, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for the ideas...i don't know why i am having such a hard time wrapping my head around this!

i think i will have them write a few journal entries telling about their day (set in the Dust Bowl).....hmmmmm...
tia is offline   Reply With Quote