Help

BusyBoard

Hot chocolate party

>

milaura85

Hot chocolate party
Old 12-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I am doing a hot chocolate party. Students are bringing in mugs and toppings like marshmallows and whipped cream. I am providing the hot chocolate. I am at a loss for how to have hot chocolate all prepared though. Initially I was planning to just have hot chocolate packets and fill a 7 quart crockpot with water and heat it throughout the day. Now I am worried 7 quarts won't be enough water. I have 24 students. I also have a keurig that I was thinking about bringing in as backup if we need more water. Ideas/suggestions?

milaura85 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 12-13-2015, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do a hot chocolate bar every year at a Christmas party. We buy chocolate milk (whole milk for creaminess). We have a big glass bowl with a built-in handle and spout. I heat one or two bowls of milk and dump them in to the crock pot. As the crock pot empties I heat up "refills". I add chocolate syrup to the milk for extra chocolatey goodness.

If you don't have a big bowl like that, use a big glass measuring cup.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Gallon of chocolate milk
Old 12-13-2015, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year, I bought a gallon of chocolate milk, put it in a crockpot and turned it on.

The kids loved it and there was no mess. Got the idea from this blog: http://www.ateenytinyteacher.com

I have also heard of soliciting donations for K-cup hot chocolate, bringing in your Keurig (or "borrowing" the one in the lounge) and using that. Depending on the ages and behaviors of your students, the kids could operate the machine themselves and there is little chance of waste (other than the K-cups), cross contamination or sneezes. It might work best if you have a lot parent volunteers for your party.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Old 12-13-2015, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I borrowed a co-workers crock pot to heat water in both. I also asked staff to donate coffee mugs that they no longer wanted. I had more mugs than I needed. The kids took the mugs home. The previous year I went to our thrift store and they happily gave me the mugs for free as they had too many.

Chocolate milk works but can get expensive.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, the year I did chocolate milk, I heated up half of the milk in the crock pot. When I served the hot chocolate, I mixed the heated milk with the non-heated milk so that it wasn't too hot. We have received strict emails about not serving hot chocolate that is too hot.

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

coffee pot
Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Does your school have a large "crowd size" coffee pot? I'm thinking those large metal ones with spigot on the bottom. Fill with water and / or hot chocolate directly. Only thing is, those can get really hot, so you would need adult supervision to dispense it ahead so it can cool slightly before giving it to the students - or have extra set aside that is not heated, so it can be added to the freshly dispense cups to cool it at bit before drinking.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the great idea to use chocolate milk! I'll be doing this next week!
chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote