Help

BusyBoard

no more homework?

>

MrsCroak

no more homework?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Don't tell my students, but I'm considering getting rid of homework. I teach 5th grade Literacy, and I'd like to eliminate planned homework assignments. That doesn't mean that they won't have to finish assignments that are unfinished, and they may need to study for tests, etc., but I'm considering this. (I would describe this to parents at the start of the year, and always recommend that parents encourage nightly reading -- though I will not do a reading log).

Has anyone else said good-bye to homework?

MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Homework
Old 04-14-2017, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I've done what you want to do for years. The only time my kids have homework is when they don't finish it in class - which is very seldom. Typically, my kids only read each night. Our grades are made up of 75% tests and quizzes and only 25% homework so homework only affects their grades a little bit.

We do a lot of checking our assignments in class so we can go over mistakes together. I just check to make sure the assignment is complete or not. It saves me a lot of time.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Long Island District
Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A Superintendent in Patchogue NY is trying to end homework for elementary school students. (He is also giving extra recess.)
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/...y-school-kids/
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a no homework thing one year for the first part of the year. The problem that parents had was that then they didn't see much work from class and then had no idea what kids were doing in class.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Our middle school did this a few years ago
Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Grades are weighted:
80%: Summative assessments (tests, some quizzes, final writing assignments, projects, etc)
20%: Formative assessments (homework - mostly math, bellwork, classwork, etc.)

If a student does well on the test, they show they've met the standard. If they do not do well, they attend reteaching during WIN classes (What I Need - half hour class for math and another for ELA each day) and retest. It's been a success, but only because the teams make sure to meet and arrange for these reteaching sessions and retesting. It's a lot of work, but most students have figured out that blowing off assignments and tests just means more work for them. Yes, if they don't finish assignments in class or study hall, those become homework.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach Kindergarten and I will not assign HW packets next year. I will instead give parents a list of things they should be doing with their kiddo that are developmentally appropriate.

I feel so free at just the thought of it!!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My 5th grader doesn't have homework other than reading for 20 minutes each night. As a parent I absolutely love it! I also don't give homework to my kinders because I think it's completely unnecessary. Most of our parents really appreciate it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Most of our parents really appreciate it.
I anticipate push back.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have weighted grades and homework is a category. If it wasn't, I would like to have no homework. I do think some parents would have a problem with it, but most would like it.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have my own philosophy about this but can I answer your post from a middle school prospective? I have heard from some middle school students that having no homework in 5th grade set them up for a shock when they got to middle school. They didn't word it that way but described it.

For these students it was several grades of nothing then middle school: homework from multiple classes.

IMHO, its a bad idea to set kids up. I think that 5th should prepare them for middle school.

Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No homework is the "dumbing down" of society. Kids go home to video games, cell phones, and tv. Parents don't like homework because they have to struggle with kids to put down the cell phones, video games, and tv. Teachers get tired of fighting the homework battle because some kids don't do it or some parents do it for kids.

If we expect to give kids the edge and advantage in life, homework is a part of that. Kids do not learn self discipline and work ethic alone. It is taught by setting aside a portion of time at home for academics -reading, writing, or studying. Also homework helps the parent know that they are also a part of the child's education. A well rounded education for a child is a group effort.

I teach grade 6 and my school discourages homework, so I don't assign it. I feel bad about this because the students that I see being the most successful are the ones who have parents at home that set aside time for reading and study. I feel bad because all students need this. Also I know that to be successful later in high school and college a work ethic has to have been established. We are not helping kids by assigning no homework. We are enabling them to rely on others for their thinking and success.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lionpaws

Agree
Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Agree wholeheartedly with the two previous posters. I teach 5th grade and mine head to middle school in 6th. I also taught middle school. Homework is a reality in upcoming grades and they need to learn how to manage time and work independently. There are many life lessons intrinsic to homework aside from the review opportunity it affords. I'm not sure it needs to be an excessive amount of time, but I do think the rule of thumb of 10-15 minutes per grade is fair.
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote