BusyBoard

Egg Drop Tips Please!

>

EggDropHelp

EggDropHelp

Egg Drop Tips Please!
Old 04-15-2017, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I signed out because I'm somewhat recognizable, and since I told several other teachers at my school about my idea, they might make the connection between me and my username.

Has anyone done an egg drop challenge with their own children or students? Any tips?

I have to come up with a STEAM project (STEM plus Ag and Art) for our STEAM Fair, and I decided on an egg drop to fulfill standards in

Science - gravity
Tech - using tech to create presentations, manage data, analyze sources
Engineering - using the engineering process to design protection for the egg
Ag - learning about the egg and thinking about where the products used in the design come from and how they relate to agriculture
Art - designing an attractive display using one of the techniques learned in art class this year
Math - budgeting - they will have to "buy" materials for their design from my "shop" and either keep it within a certain budget or have the cost be factored into the success of their design. I haven't decided yet. Graphing everyone's efforts and success or failure.

If you've done something similar -- what tips do you have?

What materials did you allow?
How did you prevent students from just looking up a design and copying it? I was hoping to eliminate some of this by putting them on a budget so that they have to consider that angle as well.
How long did they get to design/build? Was it school or home based?
How did you judge the contest?
Did you do groups or individual projects?
Any other tips you think would be helpful?

Thanks so very much!

lisa53

Old 04-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We had to institute a rule that the egg must be recoverable from the packaging within 10 minutes. Why? Because a kid brought a hen to school to drop.. The hen did not lay an egg that day (wonder why?) so he did not get many points.

As far as the other questions, I think it depends on your kids, their home situations, how much class time you have, how much junk you want to gather for supplies, how well they work independently or collaboratively, and so on. We had kids build using materials from home, with extra points for recycling "trash", one year. Another time, we had a bunch of misc. packing material available, and we allowed kids to bring containers from home.

We told them they had to use an egg that we supplied for the final project, and the container had to be designed to open to accept the egg on the day of the drop.

How about adding extra points for the lightest weight package? If they have enough math, they could figure out the ratio of the weight of the package to the weight of the egg. Have them create a description of the packaging, including their reasoning about how it will protect the egg, and a labeled diagram of the package.

I would give a day (ie one class period) in class to plan their design, a day to test and modify, and a day to do the final writeup and build their project. I would assume they might need some time at home to finish up, so that on drop day they arrive with the package and their description and diagram to present.

The more dramatic the drop, the better, of course. Drop it from the roof, or a tall ladder...or a drone...
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote