Third grade: Dojo, economy, brag tags, clip charts? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Third grade: Dojo, economy, brag tags, clip charts?

>

HermioneG

HermioneG

Third grade: Dojo, economy, brag tags, clip charts?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year I'm moving to third after having taught fifth for many years. I'm trying to come up with ideas for behavior stuff. So far I'm planning...

* Secret student/VIP student (daily)
* Class Bingo (positive behavior at specials)
* Table Points (table of the week)

Those are all simple to manage.

Then I'm debating what to do on a larger scale, and whether I should combine more than one idea. I'm wondering if one would be more effective than the others, or what experiences you have had with them. Any thoughts on the following:

ClassDojo, an economy system, brag tags, and behavior clip charts?

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a lot to manage. I use Dojo and it works perfectly. The kids love it. I love that I can give individual points, group points or whole class points.

I give rewards every 25 points or so. If you Google it in here, I posted my rewards chart.

I also love that I can communicate with parents, send pics of what we're doing in class and (a new feature) is to schedule notices ahead of time.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
HermioneG

HermioneG

I've used dojo before
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and liked it. Thanks for sharing!

eliza4one

Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All I use is, "Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do". High expectations, discussions when someone "messes up" (because no one is perfect), growing not just academically, but socially, behaviorally, etc.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

eliza4one
Old 04-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, yes, yes! Excellent advice! I would also add, "say what you mean, and mean what you say". So if you say you are going to do something, do it. I rarely have any behavior issues because my students know what is expected from them. I do not reward behavior. Responsible behavior is the expectation. You would be surprised at how smoothly your classroom runs without all that other "stuff". You don't need stickers, charts, prizes, points, etc., etc.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

I also
Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

lean with the side of do the right thing. However, I do like the communication aspect of Dojo. It makes it super easy to keep parents in the loop. I have also used an economy system, but it was tied to our economic standards, American Revolution standards and behavior. I started that in Feb. last year and we carried it through the end of the year. Students could shop at our class store. At the end of the year, we also had a class auction. It really drove home supply and demand!

If I go back to a reg. ed class, I would probably use Dojo again for communication or remind 101. I would also use the economy again as long as I could tie it in academically.
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher511

Third Grade Classroom Management
Old 05-03-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my third grade class, I use several things for classroom management.

1. I use a behavior clip chart. I strictly use this for positive and negative behaviors. The students write down what color they end at in their assignment notebook so that their family can see.

2. We also use Classroom Cash. Students receive dollars for doing their classroom job, getting 100% on tests, completing certain assignments throughout the week, etc. They can also lose dollars for not being responsible, like forgetting their homework or losing items. Then they can buy a variety of things from my Class Store.

3. I have a chart in the front of my classroom with the 4 different voice levels (no voice, whisper voice, class voice, and outside voice). I move the clothespin to the level that is appropriate during that time. I also have a classroom job called the Noise Monitor who will stand up in front of the class and remind their classmates what their voice level should be.

4. Finally, I use the "NOISE" management system. I have the letters N, O, I, S, E on my whiteboard. When the class is talking during work time, I just stand up and take a letter away. Usually I don't even have to say anything to them, once they see me take a letter away they stop talking. First you take E away, then S, then I. If they go the whole day without losing those 3 letters, then they get a sticker towards a whole class reward. Once they get O taken away, then they lose 1 minute of recess and if they lose N, then they lose 5 minutes of recess. I found this on Pinterest and it works great in my classroom!

Personally, I feel that brag tags and Class Dojo are more targeted towards K-2. Just my opinion though!
teacher511 is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 05-04-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've seen ClassDojo used with my own children in middleschool! It seems to work because the kids think their parents are going to see their dojo behavior stuff.
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote