Help

BusyBoard

Suffixing Conventions with Two Syllable Words

>

Firebelly

Suffixing Conventions with Two Syllable Words
Old 04-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday I had my fifth graders review the bound base <fer> and how to build a matrix to represent this family. Since I am not able to post the youtube video I made, I am sharing a link to my blog where you can watch the video and see how the children responded to it. Two of the students who eagerly raised their hand and participated are students who leave my room for reading and writing instruction with a special education teacher. Learning the structure of words is not too hard for them!

Besides the things I intended to review, we also talked about two other important things:

1) how adding or taking off suffixes can change the part of speech a word is.

2) how to know whether or not to double the final consonant when adding a vowel suffix (with two syllable words).

My favorite part is near the end when you can hear students say, "This is so cool!"

http://mbsteven.edublogs.org/

Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Firebelly
Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love this! I learned a lot watching this matrix lesson and discussion. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I used the changes you made for my WOW -words of the week routine (big words for little kids) . My 4th graders have such a better understanding of language and spelling too.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's nice to hear that you used the changes for WOW! I think it is easier for children to remember a spelling when they understand the reason for it.

As far as the video, I have one correction to make. Identifying the stress should be done once you have a complete word. (Not before you add the suffix, but after.) I'm going to review with my class tomorrow and add that. So finding the stress in the word 'referring' explains the 'r' doubling. (The stress is on the syllable closest to the suffix.) It also explains why the 'r' doesn't double in reference. (The stress is on the syllable furthest from the suffix.)
Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote