Help

BusyBoard

Independent reading

>

PindleLou888

Independent reading
Old 08-12-2018, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When you have the kids read independently, when do they choose the books they want to read? They take so long to get a book it eats into their reading time

PindleLou888 is online now   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 08-12-2018, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have each student keep 3-5 books in their reading bag/book box. Then each day 1 group can shop for new books before the start of class. I usually have them shop as part of morning work. I teach 2nd grade. Nobody gets new books during reading time. No one does anything except read during independent reading time.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

kabmom

Shopping List
Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Take the time to do a book pass. Let the kids look at the books that they are interested in and then create a "shopping list" They can check their list when they are looking for a new book. Have informal book reviews. (A Student who really likes their book can get up and give a review. Remind students about their shopping list and add it if they are interested) Have an area in your room where your students can fill out a book recommendation and hang it up. If your students have gone through their shopping list they could look at the recommendation board. Read with them and display your book that you are reading. My students always wanted to read mine next.
kabmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 08-12-2018, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. What is a book pass?
PindleLou888 is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught second, each group of kids had a set day when I conferenced with them and then they got new books. You have to model the procedures, but other than that, it is smooth sailing.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

kabmom

Book pass
Old 08-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Gather about 50-60 books from the library or your classroom library. The students have their shopping list ready. Pass the books around. I "advertise" a few of them before passing to get the students excited about them. When the students get the books at their desk, they can look at them and decide if it is something they would be interested in. If they think they may want to read it, they can write the title/author on their shopping list. If it is something that doesn't interest them, they pass it on. I try and get a huge variety. After they finish their first book, they could go to their list to find the next book. If they really liked it they could do an informal book talk and recommend it to the class. My 7th and 8th graders loved sharing their books.
kabmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Own Time
Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students can't get books for reader's workshop. I just feel like they spend way too much time looking for books, even if they have a "shopping list". Mine get books on their own time: before school, recess, or during when they finish their work for something (not reading workshop, though).

My quick question is what does everyone else do if kids don't have a book during independent reading time? I say they should always have at least 2 books in their book bin, but still some don't. In the past, I just gave a book to read, usually a boring textbook, and had them answer the questions. I've also allowed them to look during independent reading, but then implemented a consequence such as loss of a Dojo point. For those who don't allow the students to get books during independent reading time, what do you do for the ones who don't have books during independent reading time?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 08-13-2018, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I, too, have student shop for books NOT during readersí workshop.

To answer Teacherbee_4: I require 3 books to be ready to read. If a student doesnít have a book, I take that to signal that we need to have a quick conference reviewing how to choose a just right book. I take into consideration their interests and I will quickly pull 3 books off the shelf that might do the trick. Once they pick the book they want, I check back in with another conference. I give them something to look for in the book. For example, look for how the character changes in this book or look for how the captions go with the text. I tell them I will be meeting with them tomorrow or the next day to see how they did. I might give them some post-its to record their thoughts. This may not be the perfect answer to the problem, but thatís what I do.
owl98 is online now   Reply With Quote