BusyBoard

Help!!

>

noroomtogo

noroomtogo

Help!!
Old 08-13-2018, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been moved to a tiny... maybe 8 x 10 box to do learning support. There are 8 desks and nothing else fits. How do you make your lessons engaging and even just organize all the daily stuff? I need creative ideas!

Thanks.

teacherwriter

Old 08-14-2018, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first question is, how many students will you have at one time? Is there any way to ditch some or all of those desks? Maybe replace them with one big work table?
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Donnateaches

Old 08-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with removing some desks, if possible. How many students at a time? A cheery poster or two? I was in a janitor's closet at one school for a year when I worked with students!!! They just didn't have much extra space!!Hoping you can get a conducive learning environment!!
Donnateaches is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Room
Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked in a room like that for 6 years. I had to be able to seat 10 kids in it at once, so I ditched the desks and got a rectangular table. I had one bulletin board on the wall. My computer was actually kept in the corner on a student desk. I had an aide, too. It was very difficult and Iím a very pared down teacher (in my room now, all of my stuff fits on one bookshelf with room to spare) as a result of necessity. At the time, I was moving between two buildings and the rooms were very similar. Thatís why I had to fit so many kids in - limited time!

Some things you could try -
  • Big table
  • Use the walls
  • Magnetic or screwed in shower rod for hanging things if you can
  • Smaller groups
  • Working outside the room (back tables, hallways, outside)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree, get rid of the desks. Depending on how many students, maybe you could use a kidney table? Do they really need a desk or table at all? Could they use clip boards? How about just a nice carpet area and some bean bag chairs? I'm picturing a comfy room.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote
noroomtogo

noroomtogo

thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for your ideas! My husband had suggested the bean bags as well. I am going to have 8 4th graders in the room for direct instruction for 2 hrs, Math 1.5 hrs, and then some other pull out but only a few kids at a time. Also thought about a table. The desks are in there and then I will see if a table would be better. I can also ask about bean bags. I don't even have space for a calm down corner. I am trying to make it work though.