Integrating Book Clubs/Literature circles and Independent reading - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Integrating Book Clubs/Literature circles and Independent reading

>

Teacherbee_4

Integrating Book Clubs/Literature circles and Independent reading
Old 08-16-2018, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All right, so I'm looking for ideas, advice, etc. on using book clubs/literature circles.

For the past two years, I didn't do book clubs. Instead, while I met with guided reading groups, my students read independently. They had a weekly reader's response they had to do based on their independent reading book, and they had an independent reading binder where they tracked what they read each day, page numbers, etc. They also had a "books I've read" list that also had them rate the books they read and a "books I want to read" list. While it did take time to build stamina, my students did grew immensely has independent readers. At the beginning of the year, almost all hated reading, and by the end, I saw such progress. Many commented that they read so much more with me than they ever had before. Granted, it was struggle at the beginning of the year, but by the end, it was AMAZING.

I received a grant for novel sets and I would like to do book clubs. My plan is to focus on a specific genre, find books at appropriate level for each group and let them pick which one they read. In that respect, there will still be some choice. However, I'm wondering if I should still have them have an independent reading book in addition to their book club book. I assume yes, but is that too much? I teach 5th grade. For book clubs, I plan an having some sort of written thing (either questions for discussions, post-its for discussion, or these flip books with different things they fill out). Do I still require them to do a weekly response on their independent reading book?

Another thought/idea/question I had was could I use the novels as guided reading? Groups would select their novel, and in the guided reading group, we'd follow a book club like set up, but also work on comprehension skills using the novel as a tool for applying those skills. That would be their guided reading and then they'd have their own chapter book for independent reading. Or, do I have book club groups meet during independent reading while I meet with guided reading books? Or, do I set aside one day a week where for 20 minutes or so, the kids discuss their book? I could then rotate between groups to listen in and/or support the discussions as needed.

Any advice on the best ways to implement both book clubs/literature circles and independent reading? I want something that will be effective for kids showing growth, that I'm able to implement in my 90 minute lit block, that won't be too overwhelming, and will get kids excited about reading. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote