BusyBoard

kindergarten supplies

>

calumetteach

kindergarten supplies
Old 08-19-2018, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, all

This is my first year as a kindergarten teacher. I am wondering a couple of things:

1. What do you do regarding supplies (pencils crayons, papers) Do they have individual drawers, do you have community supplies? I'm not sure how to go about it.

2. I have a kidney table, a round table and a low rectangular table as well as the small tables for kids to sit at. With space at a premium I'm thinking about getting rid of one. How many tables do you have and what are they used for?

3. If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the things you do the first few days of school.

Thanks so much for your help. I know I'll have more questions in the future.

calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to Kindergarten! I hope you love it.

I do community supplies. I don't want them to have to store/keep track of their things. I have 4 tables where kids sit, and each table group has two baskets with crayons, pencils, and a pink pearl eraser to share (usually 6 kids per table, so 3 kids sharing one big eraser, plus the one on their pencils).

I store glue sticks and scissors in baskets that I keep in a drawer, and have one kid (rotates each week) be the table leader for their group get the scissors/glue basket when we do something that needs them. Anyone can get scissors or glue at choosing time if they want to use them. Each table has a scissors/glue basket assigned to them.

I keep watercolor paints in a big tub, and bring them out when we do a project with watercolors.

I keep markers in another kid-accessible tub, and kids can use them at choosing or if we're doing something that requires markers.

My kids sit at one of 4 rectangular tables (6/table depending on number of students, I usually have 25 or 26, which means I have the "extra" kid sit on one of the ends of the table). I have another rectangular table that I can move a child to if (s)he has trouble working without being distracted (or distracting). I also use this table to set supplies that we might need for any project we're working on (paints, paper, etc.)

It's a good place for kids to play during choosing time too. I have another table up against the wall, just because I have room for it. Kids use it during choosing, and I sometimes lay supplies on it for the class, or have them put their projects to dry on it. If I didn't have the room, this table could go.

I do almost all direct instruction with the kids sitting on the rug, not at their seats.

First few days of school: school tour, esp. the bathrooms. Take them outside before the first recess to discuss boundaries, what the whistle sounds like when it is time to line up, and where to line up.

Lots of quick read-alouds. Often alphabet books, or stories about the first day of school. Tons of them out there.

Show them how to come in in the morning, how to use the supplies at their tables, how to push their chairs in when they leave the table, how to sit on the rug (so others can see), and things like that that aren't necessary with older grade kids.

I do some easy long-term projects (one page at a time, over a couple weeks - but not every day) that aren't so much about learning (we do Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? and I have a book for them to color one animal at a time) - most kids at my school already know the colors, but what they are really learning is how I expect them to do their work, and to gain some stamina and perseverance in their work. Not just scribble for 2 minutes and say, "I'm done!", but to color the whole page, along with a background, or as much as they can do in 10 minutes. They also learn through this project what to do when they finish, how to turn in their work, etc. They are learning the procedures of the classroom.

I also have them color (maybe 8" - 10" high) cardboard figures (from LakeShore) to look like themselves. This goes up on the wall.

I have them write their names, and save this, so they can write their names again in June so show how much their writing has changed/improved.

Good luck!
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to kindergarten! You will love it, once you power through the first 6-8 weeks. Really, don't let those turn you off!

Supplies - my kids have pencil boxes with a pencil, crayons, scissors, and glue sticks. Everything else is community and only comes out when we need it. We have good sized cubbies so they are stored there.

Tables - I like to have enough for everyone to sit at a table if needed, but I still let them choose the floor for most things. I have a rainbow table (seats 8), a small round table that is dropped low so about 8 kids can cram into it if they'd like, a square table that seats 4, and a high, standing table that can take 4 comfortably and 6 if needed. Having two tables that don't need chairs helped the space issue in my room tremendously!

First days - all about procedures and routines! The only things we do or make are one about me project, a first (or second) day self portrait, and the first day they make a hat with how they are going home which helps us tremendously at dismissal. We spend the rest of the time learning and practicing routines, playing, reading stories, and singing songs. Don't worry about getting curriculum in right away - it's not worth it! If you invest the time in practicing procedures it will give you a huge payoff down the line. If you don't you will be struggling all year long.

Good luck! And you'll get lots of good advice on the kindergarten board!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote