Help

BusyBoard

Where else do you talk about teaching?

>

Stelle

Where else do you talk about teaching?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’ve been on this board since 2003ish, sometimes just reading and sometimes posting a lot (I had another name before...it was years ago, so no one would remember me anyway). This board used to have tons of new posts every day. It seemed like every summer there was a huge new thing that everyone got excited about. They had to keep making new topic-specific rooms because the boards were getting too full.

I still really enjoy reading the posts on the board, and commenting from time to time, but the volume just isn’t what it used to be. Whereas years ago I could spend hours a day trying to read new posts, now I feel like coming on once a week or so is enough to keep up with the ideas and discussions here. The other teacher forums that used to be big (teachers.net and atozteacherstuff come to mind) have either slowed down in the same way or disappeared altogether.

I get it. The online world is moving on to other things, but there has to be something out there that I’m missing. I’ve looked elsewhere on the internet. There are a few subreddits on Reddit, but they aren’t very busy and they’re more about venting and less about sharing ideas. Pinterest and Instagram are great for browsing ideas and looking at pictures, but they don’t lead to much real discussion. Most blogs seem to be advertising platforms for TPT. Twitter is great for connecting with other teachers, but it moves so quickly and it lacks the in-depth long-form discussions that I used to be able to find here.

So is there somewhere online where teachers are talking, sharing, discussing, and challenging one another to think more deeply about their practice?

Stelle is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have migrated to some facebook groups and they are more active. Not nearly as informative for me, and filled right now with classroom pictures, but I have gotten some good information from there.

I still think that TPT killed the sharing of resources, which makes it hard to fully use the collaborative nature that PT used to have. Now my PT is more for personal reasons.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Kahluablast about why we donít seem to share as much. Thatís why I initially came to PT. Now I use it for the social aspect more. I miss the sharing.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-22-2018, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What Kahlua said. I'm part of a 3rd grade FB groups (but if I see one more Pinterest classroom...). I agree that TpT has killed sharing, which was what made this such an amazing place when I joined 8 or so years ago...

Although this is still my go-to place and I think of it like a second family. I find myself spending more time in the lounge than anywhere else.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-22-2018, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It does seem likeFacebook is where a lot of the the conversations are.

But I donít like their lack of ďTeachers LoungeĒ spaces, and the ones Iím part of are very targeted - science only, tech only, Google only, fifth only, etc.

I like that PT feels like a community because we get to know each other besides sharing resources and tips.

FB has killed off other online forums I used to be part of for other topics too.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Less PT Activity
Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've noticed the same thing. I initially came here for great ideas and was hooked enough to come almost daily and "surf" for hours sometimes. During my tougher times I mostly went to the vent, w/some lounge or busy board check-ins. Then I didn't like how "negative" I was sounding/feeling and the stress of work overtook me and I came less and less.

I now get more info in a couple of fb groups and yes...I spend, spend, spend on TPT. (I would not have known that TPT was having a sale if I hadn't learned via one of my fb groups.)

But as others said, PT was an extended family. When I learned via fb that a PT friend (Maestra) had died, I immediately came back to PT and when I was able to meet another PTer (Kermit?) irl at the funeral, during that time of sadness, it meant the world to me.

I am switching to a new position for which I feel unprepared. I came here with hopes of learning, but that "group" seems pretty stagnant. I am going to post on the busy board. I'm hoping that if I can't get answers here, someone here can at least point me to another resource.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Stelle

Old 08-23-2018, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone! I guess that the particular brand of online sharing and discussing that I used to love might be a thing of the past. I will check out Facebook and see what I can find.
Stelle is offline   Reply With Quote