Help

BusyBoard

Looking for netflix show recommendation for kids

>

Haley23

Looking for netflix show recommendation for kids
Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm thinking ahead to our last day next Thursday . I have an after school tutoring group that day. Normally I'd be a fan of just keeping things as normally structured, but with this literally being their last hour before break and them coming from parties at the end of the regular school day, I don't think I can pull off reading intervention. It will also be my last day with this particular group; the new session starts in January.

I'm thinking I'd like to just put something on for them to watch and put out coloring pages. This group unfortunately can't handle games and I don't feel like messing with a craft. They also haven't earned something "super fun" IMO.

I know there are some G rated movies on Netflix, but we'll only have an hour so it seems silly to do only half of a movie. Does anyone have a recommendation of something that would be 30-60 minutes that might be enjoyable for 3rd graders? Unfortunately it can't be Christmas related either per school rules. I thought I'd see if anyone here had any wonderful ideas!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

AmiSue

Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not positive which ones are on Netflix, but what about something like the Magic School Bus, Bill Nye the Science Guy, or Sid the Science Kid? They're all about 30 minutes, they're educational, and they have nothing to do with Christmas! I can't remember what grade level you're tutoring, but I've used them with 3rd and 6th graders.
AmiSue is online now   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Magic School Bus and The Magic School Bus Rides Again is on Netflix. The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That is also on, but that might be too young for third graders.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I knew someone on PT would have a good idea! That's perfect, thanks! I don't know if they've seen Magic School Bus before or will be that excited about it (our teachers would never get away with showing videos during the school day, even with a sub or something), but they will be excited when I tell them their choice is that or reading intervention .

daffodils

Magic School Bus
Old 12-12-2018, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 4th graders loved Magic School Bus. We were lucky and allowed to show it if it related to our science curriculum and they were always thrilled to see an episode. The Magic School Bus Rides Again series is great. My K daughter loves them (and so do I!). It's Ms Frizzle's younger sister Fiona Frizzle teaching the class b/c Ms Frizzle is off doing research. Phoebe went back to her old school and there is a new student who is very into tech.

daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

grammam

We can't!
Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was hoping to show The Muppet Christmas Carol, but we have just been told that our district is being sued by Disney for showing videos from Netflix and/or Prime video in class, so we're not allowed. There are disclaimers when one joins that you will only use the videos for personal use, and not in any public arena. Can you believe this??! Such a bummer! Just beware!
grammam is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Personal use only
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was also going to say what Grammam said. When you signed the terms of agreement for your netflix ( or Amazon Prime or Hulu or other home streaming sccount) you agreed to using it at home only. It’s not licensed for a public audience.
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-14-2018, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow; that's crazy! I mean I guess I could understand if you were selling tickets or something...but suing over watching it at school seems to be going a little far. I used to do a movie day the day before Christmas break every year, but quit last year when we got a new P who doesn't allow that sort of thing .

How did Disney even figure out this was happening? Seems extremely strange to me.

Zia

Old 12-15-2018, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We were emailed about not streaming Netflix or Prime as well. So I bought DVDs.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

grammam

Look at this!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So after posting the other day, it got me really irked about this so I did some research. I am going to take this to our tech department. We are a really small district, so maybe the rumors are just that. Rumors. Sorry to cause any anxiety here. I should have done this research first. Sorry!
This basically says that teachers in public schools who have lawfully obtained movies are allowed to show them in classrooms. Yay! And again, sorry to alarm!
http://www.teachwithmovies.org/copyright.html

grammam is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Streamingvideos is not renting or purchasing. Be cautious! Disney and other companies have a long reach!

I’ve done a lot of research on this as part of my responsibilities as a librarisn. All my info indicates that using a personal account meant for home use is not appropriate for school use. Wrong kind of permissions.
https://ask.library.yale.edu/faq/175270
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 12-16-2018, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Maybe find an episode of Reading Rainbow on YouTube?