Debating: Elementary or Middle School Art? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Debating: Elementary or Middle School Art?

>

iheartart

Debating: Elementary or Middle School Art?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach elementary school art right now but there seems like there will be an opportunity for me to go to middle school soon (where I started out and loved). I do enjoy the little ones too these days but I yearn for the older ones. Is the grass greener?
What do you like about both?

For me:
Elementary
PROS:
MY curriculum is all set
Lots of parent volunteers to help frame and hang
Kids are funny and sweet
Open range of talent
CONS:
I spend a lot of time on behavior
I have about an hour a week of planning time
I feel I spend more time teaching sharing, work ethic and how to clean up and why than ART.

Middle School, I enjoy the age group, the content available and the hours and planning time are better. I think I might have more of a LIFE at the middle school level.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

iheartart is offline   Reply With Quote

art8

art8

middle school
Old 04-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Elementary school art workloads can be very,very heavy (it sounds like you have minimal planning time).
I have found:
-the colleagiality in middle school, as an art educator, to be critical
(I am on a strong team with academic content area peers, my professional purpose does not involve solely being "others' planning period", as is often the isolating case at the elementary level)
-I see students at least 4 times a week, and am able to build relationships, and a very developed and advanced curriculum
-behavior problems are minimal, when a meaningful art program is a feature of almost every day

I would say, the difference between the elementary and middle school art educator reality is dramatic, in fact, they are almost entirely different jobs.