Help

Intervention & Title I Services

New at Title 1 Math

>

khenson

New at Title 1 Math
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have just accepted a position as the one and only Title 1 Math coordinator for a very small school. This is a completely new program to the school so I will be building it from scratch beginning January 4th.
The way I understand it, Title I is a program that assists students by building on the lessons being taught in the classroom. The program will be both push-in and pull-out. I have been reading as much as I can on the different approaches to Title I Math. I would like to build an individualized program tailored to each student's needs to help him or her understand the math in the classroom. Is this the correct approach?
As of right now, I have no idea what my budget will be, what resources the school already has and what I will need to build a successful program. I don't know what resources are good to use. I know the school will be using assessment previously administered to determine which students need assistance, but I don't have any specifics on those students.
I guess I need as much information is available from anyone that can give it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

khenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 12-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on your new positon! From the sound of things, you will be quite busy.

I would think the first thing you need to do would be to find out if you are targeted assisted or school wide. It makes a difference as to what kind of program you run. The next thing you need to do is sit down with someone who is in the "know" and find out all the things you don't know, assessment, if you will be seeing students one on one, small groups, and how you are going to be coordinating with classroom teachers. You also need to know if you are going to be the one doing all the paper work that needs to be turned in annually. When you have a better understanding of those things, I'm sure things will fall into place for you. Keep us all posted.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

TitleMathCA

Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are targeted assistance you will need to assess all students to know who you will be servicing. You have to have a report at the end of the year that shows the students' grade equivalent from the "start" of the year and then again at the "end" of the year. If your school does the testing for RtI then you can use these as benchmark scores.

I teach Title Math in a K-8 buliding so one thing I can tell you from a small school perspective is that it is hard to get to everyone.
TitleMathCA is offline   Reply With Quote