Help

First Grade

TPRI, DRA, or both?

>

weimlvr

TPRI, DRA, or both?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school currently gives TPRI (Texas Primary Reading Inventory) three times a year. Last year we purchased a few DRA kits as well. We've been going back and forth regarding giving both TPRI and DRA. It's a big time commitment and as you know, teachers do not have a lot of extra time. What does your campus do? Do you use DRA alone? How do you evaluate student's reading level? What data do you use to determine small reading groups?

Thanks for the input!

weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

DRA2 3 times a year
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use DRA2 in Oct., Jan/Feb., and again in May. The rest of the year I use my conference notes and running records to guide my instruction. My groups change too frequently to only base them on time consuming testing. I pair students up based on similar needs or focus goals each week. I do a lot of 1-1 conferences. I find them more helpful than traditional guided reading groups.
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mamacanteach

Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do exactly what BusyBee4 said. For some tricky/low kids I may DRA (alternate texts) in between just to be sure. I do running records all the time and a lot of conferencing in addition to my guided reading groups.

I'm not familiar with the TPRI, does it test different skills than DRA? If it is similar to the DRA then I wouldn't bother doing both. Like you said, I'd rather spend my time teaching than assessing.
mamacanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Milyn

Dra
Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use DRA's only. And yes it is very time consuming. I test 4 times a year. The beginning of the year, before the report card for cycles 2 and 3 and at the end of the year. I need to begin now because report cards are due in less than 2 weeks. I will try and take some students in the morning before school starts. We all know what it is like to try and test when everyone is in class.

I use the DRA results to drive my small reading groups. I then bump up from there and I also listen to them read during the day. I give comprehension tests also. I will have them read the story in the book and then I'll ask questions such as the title, character's name, etc. Sometimes I read it with them and we discuss the story and then I give the comprehension test. I am finding this helps me determine where they are also. Some students can read, but have no comprehension.
Milyn is offline   Reply With Quote

peasetchr

Tpri & dra
Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use DRA and TPRI 3 times per year in September, December/January and April/May. I think the DRA is fairly accurate. I do not think the TPRI is a good indicator of reading ability or comprehension. The stories and comprehension questions are poorly written and the phonics assessment part is also poorly done. Plus, doing both assessments is incredibly time consuming.

peasetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

weimlvr

RE: peasetchr
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I totally agree with you. It's good to hear someone else's point of view. How do you do both with scheduling etc?
weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

journeygirl72

Both
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do TPRI at the beginning and end of the year. We are given a sub for one full day to complete the TPRI testing during those times. We also do the middle of the year administration for our students that were "still developing" at the beginning of the year. Since that's usually no more than 5 or 6, we do that during our guided reading time. We are required to do the DRA at the end of the 2nd, 4th and 6th six weeks. That is also done during our guided reading time. I like the DRA2 a lot. The TPRI doesn't really give me any information...but it does give me data to share with parents during that beginning of the year conference.
journeygirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Out2Recess

testing, 1 2 3
Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We do DRAs along with DIBELS, mCLASS, and NWEA.

lots of testing.
Out2Recess is offline   Reply With Quote

peasetchr

Assessments
Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Scheduling isn't easy. We get about 4 weeks to get both TPRI and DRA done. I try to do as many assessments as possible during work centers time. (I expand centers to about 75 minutes per day.) It seems to take forever to get through all the students. We test TOO much.
peasetchr is offline   Reply With Quote