Help

First Grade

daily 5

>

bobcat

daily 5
Old 07-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know there's a room for this, but I just want to ask first grade teachers first. I just finished reading Daily 5 and feel comfortable with most of the concepts. However, I'm a little uncomfortable giving up so much control. Three 30 minute rounds is a lot of time for me to give up each day.I think I will definitely use the Read to Self, Read to Someone, and Listen to Reading. I like the way they introduce it and make charts, practice, model, etc... When it comes to word work and work on writing, I guess because of my limited time in the daily schedule, I feel I'd be better off with more direct whole group instruction and then small group practice while my para and I work the room.

My question to those of you who do Daily 5 or are planning to implement it--Can you just do the reading parts or does this take away from the whole program? I know what The Sisters would say. I'm interested in your opinions. I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who fear that giving up control will lead to lots of behaviors that may look "on task" but are not really. Thanks for helping this old dog while I learn some new tricks!!

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

This is how I do it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do three rounds at 20 minutes each. I use Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing, and Word Work.

The students sign up for their rounds in the morning when they get to school.

As for being on task, I very rarely had behavior problems. Students worked the whole time because it was on the I chart which we reviewed at least weekly.

When students have more of a say in their learning, they take better control of how they are going to spend their time. I never had kids ask to go the bathroom or kids coming up to me to complain about other kids.

At the end of the year, students begged to read longer or to write longer.

If at any time you notice off task behavior, you go and review the I charts and model correct behavior. I did have one barometer kid that didn't like Read to Self. He was also in special ed. He would be given a choice, Read to Self or go the resource room to do Read to Self. 9 out of 10 times he chose to read in the room because he didn't like being away from his peers.

Start off small. The first year I just did Read to Self and Read to Someone.

Good luck, if you stick it with, you will see great results.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

same concerns
Old 07-02-2010, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi... I was so glad to see your posting. I too have read the book and I tried D5 on a limited scale this past year. It was risky giving up so much direct instruction time and I did find some kids wasting time. I don't think it will work with every group of kids...every year. Some years, I have so many behavior problem kids or otherwise needy kids that just will never work quietly by themselves or with a buddy that I can't imagine them conforming to the choices. I have a feeling that most of the people who rave about using the Daily 5 successfully have mostly "good" kids who are in school to learn. This past year, I had four SLD kids who could not or would not work independently. Given a choice of where to go during daily 5....they'd sit and play with a pencil or stare out the window. We went through the steps and the charts and it still wasn't going to work. I'm rereading the book and I might give it a try again this year, but I will have to see what kind of kids I get first.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty97

D5
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You have a choice of how you implement D5--it's suppossed to fit your needs, BUT, as the year progresses, I have found that the kids are able to read to a partner (even if reading different books and on dramatically different levels), and as for word work and work on writing---they are SO IMPORTANT for their spelling development and decoding skills!! This is where they practice the rules of spelling, decoding and blending/segmenting. Their writing is the same thing, this is what moves them from invented spelling or memorizing rules to understanding the process...........I hope that this makes since...?
If you visit the Working with Words room/group........I have some websites and suggestions there. It is a work in progress and I plan to upload some other ideas and examples of activities that I use......as soon as I figure out how.....lol
kitty97 is offline   Reply With Quote

weimlvr

My D5 Experience
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This was my first year to try D5 and I really liked it. The kids liked it too. I introduced it almost exactly like the book suggests. When it came time to do it all out, I assigned where each group would go for the day, but would make sure each group visited all work stations during the week. I did Read to Self (classroom library and individual book baskets), listening, word work, computer, writing, read with someone. They had the choice of what they wanted to do in that station each day so I felt like I was giving them some control. Writing was the favorite. This year is the first year I let them pretty much write about what they wanted to. Sometimes I might give the some guidelines, but for the most part they were free to write what they wanted. I got the best writing ever! They wrote books.... fiction, non-fiction... you name it.

I did have some issues with being on task from a couple of students. I enforced the consequences (leaving the station and writing sentences with spelling words at their desk) and they usually shaped up for a while.

My suggestion is to make it what you want and need. I, like you, was not comfortable giving up control so I tried to compromise a little bit. Hope this helps...

weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

jcmcfarland

I gave the control up...mostly
Old 07-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hello! For Daily 5 in my classroom I did 3 rotations each 20 minutes long. I intorduced all of the options because I felt like each played an improtant role in the literacy development of my kiddos. I loved seeing how students who needed work in an area would choose the Daily 5 option to help themself improve (ie- I had several who needed fluency work, so they chose listen to reading or read to self each day). I placed very few restrictions on what my students chose each day- when an option was abused/classroom guidelines not followed, then I took the option away for a certain number of days. A phrase I found myself saying at the beginning of implementation was: "you chose what to work on, so I expect to see you work." Honestly, I think the most appealing part of Daily 5 (to the students) was the option to choose what to work on. With corners/centers they were told where to go and what to do, and in turn they HATED it! Allowing the choice really encouraged my students to focus on their work...
jcmcfarland is offline   Reply With Quote

anniebanannie

it works great with first grade
Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have implemented daily 5 for 2.5 years and last year began CAFE. I did workshop for 1 hr. so usually I had 3 rounds of 20 min. but on some days when I was running a little ahead, I could do 4 rounds of 15 - 18 min. each. We had all 5 choices and all worked extremely well. I did it pretty much the way the sisters tell you to. I had 2 taperecorders so each round 2 kids could chose listen to reading. I just changed the books in those about every week or two. I know many teachers use mp3's but haven't tried that yet since my taperecorders work so well. For word work, they had many things to chose from, many are listed in the book but we mostly used magna doodles, wikki stix, magnetic letters. abc stamps. Early in the year, they mostly did abc work and word wall words. AFter we began spelling words, they used those words. Don't be afraid of any of the 5 choices. First graders can definately do well with all, and they don't mess around if you follow the steps and procedures in the book. Work methodically and sequencially, revisiting what you have done frequently, model, model, model, etc and they will rise to your expectation. It has honestly been the best thing I have done in the 18 years that I have been teaching.
anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote

QMom

Modified Daily 5
Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The first grade team at my school implemented several components of the Daily 5 last year. We followed the sequence of activities suggested in the book and built stamina for the 1st month of school so Read to Self would be successful. Starting in October, we did 3 20 minute rotations that I assigned. The rotations included: Meet with teacher (guided Reading), Read to Self, Word Work, Writing and Computer. Our word work activities support the spelling and word wall words for the week. I stuff the folders in advance with differentiated/leveled practice. The words change weekly, but the activities are the same. Our school division purchased Earobics, so the computer rotations usually focused on that. Once the children mastered these rotations, I introduced Listen to Reading. I didn't try the Read to Someone last year, but have plans to roll that component in with my group next year. The 1st grade teachers at my school assign the rotations. The 2nd grade teachers also use D5 and give limited choice-a few activities are mandatory and the others are choice activities. Hope this helps!
QMom is offline   Reply With Quote