Help

Fourth Grade

Supplies

>

lilteacher148

Supplies
Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have kind of a silly question. If you put your students in groups and place a box of supplies in the middle of the table what do you put in the box and do you keep them all year?

I have noticed on several websites that people put shower totes/boxes in the middle of group. I am curious if people do this what is their purpose? I was considering putting pencils in them since my kids this past year went through pencils like crazy and by the end of the year I was supplying them because parents would not purchase them but what other uses do these boxes serve?

lilteacher148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tatha

everyday items
Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I try to put everyday items in the supply box to minimize the need for students to leave their desks. Typically this includes post-its, checking pens, pencils, glue sticks, and scissors. Set up classroom expectations and routines with these supply boxes in mind or they will totally become messy and/or empty. Students do not go to recess until I have checked these boxes. By doing this early, students take more responsibility for maintaining the supply boxes.
Tatha is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Supplies
Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My supply caddies on the group desks usually contain the following items: extra pencils for the group in case someone breaks theirs, red pens for self checking papers, a large pink eraser, expo markers, expo erasers, a few pair of scisors, and a bottle of glue.

I have 2 sections of students, I teach a group in the morning and a group in the afternoon and the supplies allow the kids to have something to work with if the "forget" the needed items in the other classroom. I keep the Expo items in their because I use individual dry erase boards for some lesson and this saves time on passing out the markers and erasers.

I also teach a a school where not every child brings school supplies so I find that this way the children don't get embarassed about not having the needed materials. Everyone is on an equal footing.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

debbie61497

Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I keep extra pencils, pens, glue, scissors, a couple of calculators, hand sanitizer, and a small dustpan/broom in ours. I also put markers and colored pencils in them. I tell the kids how much money it takes me to stock them, and how I am trusting them to keep things in good shape. We talk about NOT putting trash in them, and I check them several times a week for neatness.
debbie61497 is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach28

?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a question about this. Do they just share scissors, pencils, glue, etc. or has anyone tried letting them have their own of each that they brought from home and has their name on it in the caddy in the middle of the table? Does this work or does it make things more difficult because it takes them a long time to find their stuff?

bteach28 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaNiKi

Old 07-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I put anything that would be in a kid's school box: scissors, pencils, coloring supplies, glue, etc. It saves space in their desks and they can carry them to a spot on the floor to work together.
CaNiKi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. D :)

Material Baskets
Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our "material baskets" as I call them have pencils, pens, colored pencils, markers, crayons, erasers, glue sticks, scissors, post-its, and hand sanitizer. Most of the materials are from what students bring to school. On the first day of school, I collect all of the students school supplies. I tell them if they have anything they don't want to share with the class then they make take it home. This way nothing belongs to one student, everything is "ours". If students bring mechanical pencils or have pencils they receive as a prize or something special like that, they are allowed to keep them in their desks. I keep the collected materials throughout the year, and we have special days when we replenish our buckets as needed.
Mrs. D :) is offline   Reply With Quote