I'm at square one in teaching science :) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

I'm at square one in teaching science :)

>

Hideeho

I'm at square one in teaching science :)
Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching 4th grade math and science. Math is a double period, science is one period. I will be teaching my homeroom and my partner's students science each for one period.

Other than first grade science, I have never taught science, much less intermediate science. In my intervention position the past 2 years, my focus was math so I've got a foundation in that. But with science, I'm lost.

I am planning on teaching math using the Guided Math teaching strategy so will be devoting a lot to that.

However, I have pretty unfamiliar with teaching trends in science. At this point, I don't even know what textbook series we use.

Could you please help me with learning more about science teaching?

How often do you do labs or experiments?

What does your weekly schedule of science instruction include?

Do you have a Science Word Wall?

Is there a professional book that you would recommend that would help me get off the ground?

I don't even know what else to ask

TIA!

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

phillycms

Science Kits
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don't use a textbook, we use kits. They're called FOSS. They have a great website if you want to look it up. Word wall yes and the students help to create it as you guide them. It's all inquiry based. The experiments depend on the unit you are teaching.

I would recommend the book Science Notebooking. It's a quick easy read, but it shows and guide you how to set up Inquiry based notebooks in science.
phillycms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tatha

Language Arts Integration
Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My school system does not use a "program." Instead, they have written their own curriculum. All readings come from online resources and/or are provided in student data booklets they have written. However, we do at least 2-3 investigations a week. Some investigations take more than one day to complete. Language arts, math, and technology is integrated as much as possible in the science units. There are a lot of science web tools online students can use - so depending on which topics you'll be teaching, you can find a lot of different things to use. Be sure to visit teachertube.com for ideas as well. Just type in your topic of study in the search engine and you'll find some neat videos you can include on wiki board and/or show the class.
Tatha is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Old 07-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach math, science, and social studies. I teach the 3 subjects to my homeroom and then switch in the afternoon and teach the same thing to my team mates students. I try to teach science everyday from the beginning of school until spring break in March. In Texas we have a major test in April that tests math so from the middle of March until the ending of testing I only teach science every other day and teach a double math block.

Your standards for your grade level will dictate your weekly schedule. My weeks are never the same, it all is depending on the topic I am covering. Some topics require more investigation and labs than others. I try to include at least one experiment/lab per week because I think my students look forward to them and they seem to grasps the concepts more and be able to link it to other content this way. Some weeks I do an investigation everyday like when I teach electricity. Other concepts that oceans are a little more difficult to complete an investigation more often simply because of resources.

I do not have a science word wall because in Texas math is more of a push and this take a lot of my wall space. I do introduce the science vocab, keep the cards on the board until the topic is completed, and keep a science journal with the vocab words.

I don't use a science book but instead I use a resource call Science Measuring Up as well as Aims educational resources. The AIMS materials really help me because they are more hands ons. Depending on your state they may are may not be geared to your standards. Here is a link to the AIMS materials :www.aimsedu.org

I hope this helps a little. I was in you situation a few years ago. I was a first grade teacher for a long time and then got moved to 4th grade where everything was new and a little overwhelming.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

teaching science
Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Could you please help me with learning more about science teaching?
YES! I find the best resources are online. Just google "teaching____"(fill in your topic) and you will get tons of info and ideas.

How often do you do labs or experiments?
some units are more hand on than others i.e. matter -nearly everyday we have science-some very simple activities, others more like experiments, still others are demonstrations

What does your weekly schedule of science instruction include?
this varies but usually begins with a teacher whole group lesson, notetaking from me or a powerpoint-do you have a Smartboard? There are MANY PPT for science topics. Then group hands on (when possible),independent work in interactive notebooks.

Do you have a Science Word Wall?
No, just notes on the Smartboard and vocab in their interactive nb.

Is there a professional book that you would recommend that would help me get off the ground?
Not really, but again check online resources (including the NSTA) National Science Teacher Association) to learn about your topics. I've learned so much from reading up on things before presenting it to the class. Also, try out experiments prior to class There are times when you need to tweak, so they are successful!

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote