Help

First Grade

BEE Binders or Folders? Which should...

>

Tallulah815

BEE Binders or Folders? Which should...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I use? Have you found that first graders can handle the three ring binders, open them and put papers inside? Or are the folders better, with the plastic sleeves? I don't want to get myself in over my head with these.

TIA for your help!

Tallulah815 is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Binders
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use binders with my first graders. They have a 3-hole-punched folder inside to keep homework and notes in. They don't ever have to open and close the binder rings.

The papers that are kept in the binders for reference throughout the year are in plastic sleeves to keep them from being ripped out of the binder and from getting dirty.

I LOVE using these. You just need to teach the kids how to use them. I make a big deal out of how special the binders are.
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FishyH

Love Binders!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, I tried binders halfway through last year and I'll never go back. Folders fall apart too easily and can't hold as much. I wasn't sure how well binders would go over, but the kids loved them. When I surveyed the parents at the end of the year they loved expressed that they loved them too. I did try not to have them opening and putting things in, if I happened to hole punch anything I either would put it in, or send it home and let parents put it in. As the year went on, a good amount of them would just do it on their own.
FishyH is offline   Reply With Quote

tanyalucky13

love them!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My Grade 1's have done great with them in the past 2 years.
I have had no issues with them, and my parents love them too!
tanyalucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote

anniebanannie

where to get plastic pencil sleeves
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am putting my BEE books together and have not been able to find some inexpensive pencil sleeves for the notebooks. I saw on here where someone took baggies and put duct tape on end to reinforce it but I was hoping to find the pencil cases somewhere. Teachers are notorious for finding sales and bargains on school supplies so I was wondering if anyone had seen these around for cheap.

anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote

FishyH

Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

anniebanannie - I did the ziploc bags last year, and I hated it after 2 weeks. It didn't work for me. If I find any posts or sales I'll send you a message! I've been searching non-stop for them.
FishyH is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherGirl7

I use plastic folders
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

from Staples (with the prongs). They have a few different options, but my favorite are actually Staples brand and they are 99 cents each (so they're inexpensive for parents to buy... or you, if you're providing them). They are floppy and flexible, and mine lasted all year! Only one or two students broke their folders. I also keep my BEE Books super simple. Left at Home, Right Back to School, clear pencil pouches (bought at Office Depot for pocket change), and a couple page protectors for weekly HW, etc.
TeacherGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote

weimlvr

I used plastic 3-prong folders
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

last year. They lasted all year . The kids loved them, the parents loved them, I loved them.... I found zipper pockets at WalMart for $1.00 each yesterday. They are "cloth" and have metal reinforcements around the holes. The pockets I used last year were plastic... the kids had a hard time using them and they didn't hold up as well as I would've liked.
weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

wiscombefirst

Poly pocket folders with prongs
Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is what we invested in and with the exception of one child, they lasted all year, and that one child's lasted until the last 2 weeks of school. Right now is the time to find those at great deals. I found them at Office Depot last week for 56 cents each!! I also use the zipper pencil cases that are for 3 ring binders, again, they lasted all year!!!
wiscombefirst is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

pencil cases
Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use the Dollar General Stores, they have the heavy duty canvas cases that have heavy metal zip's. Several different colors too! All for $1.00 a piece. I'd check target too

PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

GBickel

go with poly vinyl floppy folders
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Two years ago, I used the floppy plastic one inch 3 ring binders. I thought I would like the harder covered binders better. I was wrong. last year i purchased the hard cover 3 ring binders. They were the ones I got for $1 each at Walmart. By Christmas, some of the covering was coming off the outsides and they were warped. Most were falling apart by the end of the year and needed to be taped or replaced. The rings gave way and did not close properly even if the students opened them correctly. I just ended up sending them home. I still have the original floppy plastic binders and plan to use them again this year. Even if they only last one more year, they will have lasted three times longer than the hard cover. i think because they are so flexible, they don't get bent up so easy.
GBickel is offline   Reply With Quote