Help

First Grade

Desk or no desk?

>

irishteacher

Desk or no desk?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not talking about the children....I'm talking about the teacher's desk. Lately I have read many references to teachers who have gotten rid of their desk to create space in their classroom. I have a corner classroom with lots of usable space outside my room but last summer we got a new principal who told us upon arrival back to school that NOTHING would be allowed in the hallways. Putting everything I needed back into my classroom left a very crowded classroom last year.

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my huge desk. It seems that many have gotten rid of them without missing them. I spend very little time sitting at my desk anyway and it usually becomes a cluttered dumping ground. (Organization is an issue for me.) Two K teachers I am friends with switched from the huge desk to a much smaller one but that was with a principal who would approve the purchase. (This one won't....especially with the budget cuts.)

Has anyone tried doing without the big teacher desk? If so, how has it worked out? How did you organize your materials without it? Thanks in advance!

irishteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

smar

desk
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i'd love to gain the space, and i don't sit at it all that often, however, i always pile stuff on it to keep the rest of the room clean. i wish i could be more organized and i try to be, but there are always piles. i need a place to plop them so they are not on the student tables. i don't think i could get rid of my desk.
smar is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Switched to a small desk..
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a huge desk and switched to a small one. It is a dumping ground and at the end of the day is a mountian of stuff. I think if I got rid of it my stuff would be everywhere so I'm sticking with the small desk. I do not miss the big desk at all. If I have to work in a large area I use my reading group table.

I would love to get rid of my small desk but my aide has a desk too and I think I would end up cluttering up her desk with my stuff.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Nealy

I don't have a desk...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not have a desk, especially since I really don't need one. I keep all my curriculum organized on shelves, in drawers or file cabinets. I use my kidney table (reading table) when I need time to sit during a break, when I use my computer and/or assess students. I find it helpful to get organized first before getting rid of your desk. Every so often I find myself putting papers, books, etc into piles. This is when I know its time to clean and keep organized. I think this is something you will get used to, especially since in first grade you are costantly moving. Another idea is that if you get rid of a huge desk that takes up space, you will only open up space to get organized by getting a shelf, cabinet or an organizer with drawers to keep your important papers, etc. Hope this makes sense!
Nealy is offline   Reply With Quote

ginadoo

No Desk
Old 07-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got rid of my big desk after a parent volunteer, who had seen and noticed the piles on it all year, said at Open House, "Who are you kidding with that clean desk!" Now I use a kidney table or a student desk. I do have a book shelf to organize my piles on and I try, really try to keep them smaller!

ginadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

deskless??
Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am interested in the concept of getting rid of the teacher desk, but it just isn't practical for me. All of the teachers in our schools have a desktop computer, and there's nowhere else to put it. My desk isn't massive though, and it's pushed against the wall (teaching first grade, you never have time to sit at it when the kids are there anyway, so it doesn't matter that my back is facing the classroom if I sit at it!).

I lucked out though....I have the nicest desk in the entire school! It's new and not huge.
sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I haven't had a desk in two years. I use my guided reading table to grade papers, etc. I have a bookshelf behind it for manuals, etc. I have plastice Sterelite shelves that I have labeled that hold the items once in my desk. I have room for another center area now.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

in2ndteacher

couldn't be happier!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm trying it this year and I am so excited! I couldn't wait to get that huge thing moved out of there!! I can't believe how much space it too up (it was HUGE!) I never sat at it anyway and it was filled with nothing but junk that easily found a home somewhere else. I feel like I have gotten away from that teacher sitting in the front of the room at her giant desk (shrine) sterotype!
in2ndteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tanyalucky13

No Desk!!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will be going on my second year with no teacher's desk and I love it!
I do have a small computer desk that houses a paper basket organizer and then a wire cube shelf that holds cloth baskets will all my 'desk' supplies in them (stickers, pens/pencils, etc.) I use my kidney table as my 'working' space, which forces me to keep it clean because I work with small groups at it during guided reading and guided math.
I'll never go back to having a desk... the classroom is for the kids, not for me!
tanyalucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ReadingTchr28

Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mine really is just holding stuff. Currently you can't even see it! It's hidden behind a large pocket chart. I probably could get rid of it but I'd loose some of the storage as well. I think I might have sat at it maybe 3-5 times last year while my kids were out of my room, so really it's a waste of space.

ReadingTchr28 is offline   Reply With Quote

missc123

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I got rid of my desk last year and it was the best thing that I have done. I gained so much space and really didn't miss it at all. I never sat in it, and used it only to hold my laptop and papers. Since then, I've moved my laptop to my kidney guided reading table, which is situated beside shelving that holds my materials. I would never go back!
missc123 is offline   Reply With Quote

weimlvr

I haven't had a desk in many years...
Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I use my small reading group table and have bookshelves and a paper sorter for my "piles". Our rooms are so small, it is definitely worth the sacrifice...
weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

the_windian

Going Deskless
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You all are making me want to lose my desk. It's not that big, but I've been holding on to it for some unknown reason. I think, like one person mentioned, I wouldn't know where to put my desk top computer. Hmmm, I'll have to think this through a little bit more.
the_windian is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

Teacher desk
Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I got rid of my teacher desk the first year of teaching. Although I liked having the space of my own, I traded it for two trapezoid tables that I use during my reading group time. I still keep my book shelves behind me to hold all my "stuff". This also works for parent conferences! I haven't missed it at all, and the tables were already in my room. Does your district have a warehouse that you might browse the cast off school furniture?
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

taywin

No Teacher Desk
Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have not had a teacher's desk for at least 5 years. My classroom happens to be one of the smaller ones; therefore I needed the room. (I have not missed it.) However, my reading table has a dual purpose, I use it for groups and as my area for paperwork. Before groups and as the children are working on morning work, the reading table is my "desk". After I finished my "paper work", I then move the items to a shelf behind my "desk". If I need to reference some paper work, it is always within arm's length. I have also tried to put as many things as I could into a filing cabinet. Other things such as pencils, pens, clips, rubber bands, etc... I have a clear container to hold those items. I keep a few of everything I need close by, the extras I store in the closet and re-stock as necessary....

Hope this helps!
taywin is offline   Reply With Quote

abra123

No desk ...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I got rid of my desk last year. However, I do have a table that I can sit at ... and I can meet with kids at it, too, so it's functional. Here is a pic of my "no desk" ... I use Sterilite drawers to keep my files in. I have since traded my round table for a small rectangular one, but the concept is the same.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
abra123 is offline   Reply With Quote