Anyone else NOT into decorating their room? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Anyone else NOT into decorating their room?

>

m3g

Anyone else NOT into decorating their room?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't mean my room is a disorganized mess. Quite the opposite. I just go for organized simplicity and function... Perhaps I'll post pics when I finally go back to school.

Am I alone here?

m3g is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No, You're not alone I don't go for a theme either, just try to keep things organized and cheerful.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Maestra

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same here. My room is bright, attractive and functional. Those are my goals. I have a very small room and basically have to "squeeze" a space for a carpet and I am desperately trying to figure out a space for small group work. I see pictures of all these huge wonderful rooms and I just want that space!!!

The thought of trying to have a "theme" just stresses me out. No one in my building has one....but there are sure a lot of great attractive rooms!
Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't either. I keep my room clean, simple, and calming with a few thought-out fun items. I want my room to feel inviting but also a place for learning. I personally cannot feel productive in an overly decorated room.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I'm with you
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a small, crowded room. It definitely isn't disorganized or messy, but I have been teaching awhile, so there are a lot of things in the room. They cut a section of our grade so our numbers are higher this year. I have a principal who is constantly on my case to "get rid stuff". I got rid of a lot of things this summer, and will be purging my classroom library when the room is cleaned. I'm very jealous of the pics of other rooms with extensive reading corners, areas for small group work and conferences, etc. Maybe one day...

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pmac

no theme
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No theme for me either.
I have a student teacher for 1/2 of the year so I'm thinking of leaving it entirely up to her and see what she comes up with!
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

I'm with PP...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

no theme. Neat, organized, no clutter, functional.
I post student work - that is my "decoration" ... we have a school mascot / symbol and I have a few of those (butterflies) hanging around - but that is it.
bzetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

old n new

Going for the simple look
Old 08-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year, everytime I would walk into a coworker's classroom I would just get a calm feeling. She had very little on the walls. A lot of her bulletin boards were just covered with white paper and a fun boarder. There wasn't even anything on them. I have several things that I really need to have up so I can't go that simple but I am planning on keeping it more simple than in years past. Plus they painted my walls this year so I think I will just enjoy the nice clean walls instead of trying to cover up the yuck.
old n new is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Simple
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I stick to a color theme and try to stay organized. We are discouraged from putting anything up that is not done by kids so my bulletin boards are pretty minimal. I too can't believe how new some classrooms look with matching furniture and huge closets and windows. I am working in an old school with mismatched furniture and..... gray. Sorry. I walk in and I just see gray! I am going with red white and blue just cheer the place up.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

m3g

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am glad to hear that I am not alone in this. I try really hard to keep things clutter free and inviting but also simple...hopefully not to the point of being too bland. I'll post pics when I am done with my room.

m3g is offline   Reply With Quote

eagertolearn

No
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't have a theme either. I liked the pictures of one poster who had the same color paper/fabric on all the bullentin boards and that made it look cohesive. That's the look I am going for this year. Seeing all these awesome rooms has inspired to purge and be more organized! I wish I was creative to come up with such nice looking rooms!
eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

CaNiKi

No theme
Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't have a theme. In fact, (I'm not trying to upset anyone by this) I don't understand how it is really beneficial to students to have everything tie into a theme. Not that it is a disadvantage, I just don't see what it adds. Although, I do think that those classrooms that have themes would be really fun to be in.

I usually end up with a few colors that are repeated, simply because I favor certain colors over others.
CaNiKi is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Trying something...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I didn't have a theme last year, but I'd like to try it this year. I am not doing a lot, but more just a theme for my BB, job board, resource binder, etc. I thought I'd give it a try. I'm looping with my class to 5th next year so maybe next year I'll decide to not have a theme again. I think whatever works for you is best. Like others have said, I've seen many classrooms that are equally inviting with no theme.
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

YAY! That's me too!

I want it to be pleasing to the eye, but no theme here, and very few things on the wall. I can't stand going into rooms where the walls are so covered with posters that you can't even process what it all means. I don't put things up till we learn it. We usually create our posters in class as a lesson so that the kids will be connected to it and actually reference the posters when needed.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

Maestra
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Me too---my room is so small---it makes me envious of all those with space.....I try a theme each year, but after the first BB that seems to the end of et.
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

ubs

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I vaguely do a star theme. Decorating stresses me out so much. I am not a perfectionist, but many of my co-workers are. I go for functional decorations that don't cause me to stress out.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

No Theme
Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have been teaching a long time and I have never had a theme. I do strive to make my room feel like a big welcoming library. My BB are all painted apple green. My books are sorted in labeled bins by authors, themes and non fiction. My book bins are blue for fiction and yellow for non fiction and the bins cover one entire wall (25 plus feet). I have all math supplies against the opposite wall. I also have space for large group and small group meeting areas, so my room is organized and efficient to work in. I find theme rooms too busy for my personal learning style.
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

No theme, but I do put up a few seasonal decorations. I mostly put up things like anchor charts and other reference charts as we make them, but I do like to have a few decorations that I change each month, especially in the calendar area. I have a lot of windows, so I tape up 2 a few decorations up high just to make the room look current. I'll have up Welcome Back and some apples for Sept., pumpkins and Happy Halloween signs for Oct., leaves and Thanksgiving for Nov., and then winter for Dec. into Jan. And so on and so on. I make sure to do at least one activity a month that I can hang up that the kids make- I've gotten some really cute glyphs from here, and those always look nice. But no, no theme for me or most others.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

themes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

When I do a theme, I find I get tired of it. And then there was the year I did a frog theme and every gift I got from a student was frog related. I mean I like frogs but not that much! So now I just do bright, cheerful colors, very uncluttered & organized.
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

2sankofa

Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I do a color theme and accessorize it with the same colors.
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

No Theme
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I actually thought about it for this year but I'm just not that into it. I want my room to feel more pulled together this year but no going to do a theme.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

Old 08-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have to admit that I have been envious of some of the classes that I have seen from teachers. I have tried to do a theme but quickly realized that the amount of money I would need to spend to do one was not in my budget. So I just keep things simple, neat, cheerful and display as we make them in class.
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

skinsfan

No theme here either
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Don't care to spend the money. I'm not overly into decor at home either. My SIL and sis are both always changing things in their homes. (new furniture, curtains etc...) I like it to look nice, but don't have the need to change it so frequently. Thank goodness DH cares more about it than most hubs. He has pretty good taste as well as he was a fashion merch. major in school.
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

motherhen

Ahhhh . . .
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

There's my sigh of relief that there are so many others that don't do a theme. I look at all of the amazing and coordinated creations here on PT and am awed by teachers' creativity. That's just not me.

I have gotten many good ideas, such as using black paper on bulletin boards, from PT, but there is no way that doing a big theme fits with my personality (or my budget, or my persistent indecision). I am more conscience of the overall look of my room, and have reduced the number of dominant colors, and I have fellow PTers to thank for that. If it weren't for all of those great photos of themed and organized rooms, I would probably still be in a room of mismatched goodies.

A pp reminded me that the most calming and happy rooms on my campus seem to be two rooms with VERY little in them. They are inviting in their own way, but anytime of year you walk it seems they could pack up for summer with an hour's notice if needed.

Thanks for starting this discussion!

Last edited by motherhen; 08-02-2010 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: typo
motherhen is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I love to decorate my room! But I really think it's a question of what you mean by "decorating". My version of decorating includes sorting manipulatives into matching baskets and putting up scalloped border around bulletin boards. I don't think that "decorating" and "putting up a million posters from the teacher store" have to mean the same thing!

My ideal classroom would look an awful lot like a room I'd like to have in my house. I'm nowhere near that, since I have an alarming amount of plastic in my room and I don't see that changing anytime soon!
Random is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

No theme for me!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I have often toyed with the idea of a theme however I have never had one nor do I think I will. I just go for the simple and colorful. I have plain colored bordette borders on my bulletin boards. I also have one accordian that no longer opens up that I have different colored bordette around the panels. I use the colors of the rainbow. I can't think of anyone in my school that has a theme.
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote