Help

BusyBoard

Multiplication Stories

>

ecse129

Multiplication Stories
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Someone told me once about funny multiplication stories to tell the kids. I don't mean the short little rhymes, these were narrative stories like 6 and 7 were friends. 6 was round and fat and didn't like to exercise. 7 was tall and thin and very athletic. They were trying to find something to do together and everything 7 suggested 6 turned down. Then finally 7 suggested an activity that 6 agreed to: the high jump. (As this is going on, you are drawing on the board the 6 and the 7. Then you draw a 4 as a high jump.) But in order to do the high jump, 6 said he needed a nice big cushion on the other side. (You draw a wide fat 2 to represent the cushion.) Then you talk about how 7 x 6 = 42. There is one about 4 and 8 are brothers. One is dirty and needs to take a bath or something and then the end result is that now one of them is "dirty-too" meaning 32. Anyway, does anyone know where I can find these stories? I told a few of them to my kids last year and they loved them. I now am struggling to remember any of them and want to know the rest of them as well.

ecse129 is offline   Reply With Quote

CATeach3680

Times Tables the Fun Way
Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know exactly what you're talking about because I use the stories in my class every year! I don't have them in any electronic form, but they are from the book, Times Tables the Fun Way, by Judy Liautaud. Here is a link to the book on Amazon. (hope it works...)

http://www.amazon.com/Times-Tables-F.../dp/1883841437

I absolutely LOVE these stories, and my 3rd graders love them too. Some are more memorable than others (the "dirty two= 32" one is one that my kids always seem to remember).

If someone has them in electronic form, I'm sure that would be easier, but there's just something about getting my whole class to sit down at the end of math when we're officially learning the multiplication facts, and reading a couple stories a day. They love the story time, and hearing new stories each day, looking at the pictures, etc. I definitely recommend the book!
CATeach3680 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecse129

Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much! I am ordering it now!
ecse129 is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think this might help my students too. I am excited to learn there is something like this out there.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote