TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Is this odd??

>

NervousWreck

NervousWreck

Is this odd??
Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had struggles with anxiety in the past. I took Lexapro for a year, ending last February. My OB/GYN told me if I needed it to just call her. With school starting and my going to a new grade level I have started having issues again so I called my dr. yesterday. Since Lexapro made me very tired she prescribed Cymbalta. I took my first one last night, went to bed at midnight feeling fine. I woke up this morning at 5 feeling more anxious than I had before. I was able to go back to sleep at about 6 and slept till 7:30, but I woke up still pretty anxious. I looked at the information that comes with the prescription and it says a possible side effect is anxiety and panic attacks to contact dr. immediately. So I called my dr. and the on call dr. called back. When I told him all that he said he didn't know much about Cymbalta because he doesn't prescribe that one, that he would just let this wear off and not take again till after I talk to my dr. on Monday. He just seemed really blah about it.

Maybe it is just my mood.

FLteachESE

Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also tried Cymbalta and had more anxiety than I had before. I did not like it at all. I went back to Lexapro and felt better- once we increased from 10 to 20 mgs.

mizzreadalot

Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I take Cymbalta and have for the last few years. The first week on it is terrible. The doctor warned me of the side effects before she started me on it otherwise I would have stopped before getting through the first week. After the first week the side effects have gone and now I really like the medication. I am not on the Cymbalta for anxiety but rather for depression. If I were you I would talk to the doctor and not take anymore. The doctor should have warned you about the terrible period of getting use to the medication and the fact this medication has serious withdraw issues.

Redundancy

Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SSRI drugs do not work for my anxiety even though they are known to help for other people's anxiety. I really think some people have to try a lot of medication to find the one that works for them. Personally, I will never try another SSRI drug since I find them very hard to get off of since they build up in the bloodstream. My withdrawal experience from Lexapro was pure hell.

If you only suffer from anxiety and not depression, perhaps you should try a medication that only treats anxiety without treating depression as well. That has worked for me.

happygal

side effects
Old 08-07-2010, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

don't you just love the side effects that are exactly what you are trying to avoid?

Hope you are feeling better by now.

I ♥ cats

Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried Cymbalta and it gave me terrible heartburn every night. At first I thought it was just a coincidence but soon realized I don't normally have heartburn every single day! As soon as I stopped taking it, the heartburn stopped. It was strange. I don't do well with most long-term anti-anxiety meds, so now I just take Xanax as needed. That works better for me.

tia

cymbalta
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

you need to wait a full week (at least!) to determine if a med will work for you. the first week of cymbalta made me dizzyish and groggy. it seemed like over the next couple months i had ALL the side effects possible---when usually, i never had side effects from meds.

i had excessive yawning (gone now).
i had extreme flatulence.
i have dry mouth (this is common with most anxiety meds).
i had constipation (still do, but it's better now).

good luck with whatever you end up taking/doing. whatever you use, make sure to use it for a good long period of time to really see how it affects you.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you want more information on that side effect you might consider calling a pharmacist. Is your anxiety generalized, or does it occur just sometimes? If its not real often you might want to consider something you can take as needed, like a low dose of Xanax. That works well for me, but everyone is different.

Nancy