BusyBoard

Do you have staff meetings?

>

NoMeetings

NoMeetings

Do you have staff meetings?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm signing out because there are people from school on here. My school doesn't have staff meetings at all. My principal says they aren't necessary but it creates a lot of confusion at times because things go unresolved and unannounced. Mostly, I don't think my principal wants to have to deal with problems and commit to a meeting once a month. Does anyone out there also not have staff meetings?

cardnialteach

Once a month
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do have monthly meetings. We set the day at our opening meeting. It is usually the first Tues or Wed. of the month. This way everyone knows when they are, they don't change, and they don't have an excuse not to be there. He sends out an agenda a couple of days in advance and we meet in the workroom after school. I also work at the MS and we have monthly meetings, again set on a schedule, in the morning before school begins. Unless there is not a lot on the agenda we have the meeting. He has cancelled when he felt the information could be shared via email, but this usually only happens in December and May.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

meetings
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't imagine NOT having faculty meetings...We have monthly faculty meetings and dept meetings. for the most part, I find the meetings informative, and have had principals/dept heads who have kept them as such for the most part. If we had nothingmore to discuss, we would get out early...but for the most part, they were informative and kept us up to date on larger issues, like budgets and cuts. Emails would not be appropriate in those situations IMO.
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Shemesh

Old 08-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we have team meeting every week (by grade level) but no monthly staff meetings. The principal keeps us posted via emails.
Shemesh is offline   Reply With Quote

multi

Weekly
Old 08-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have them weekly...and that is all too often. What a waste of our time. Most could be shared over email and a monthly meeting would work better!

multi is offline   Reply With Quote

WriteTeach

No meetings here either
Old 08-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We don't have staff meetings either. They are scheduled for once a month, but they never end up being actual staff meetings. I agree with you; this situation leads to lots of rumors, gossip, and misinformation. It has gotten so that there is quite a bit of dissention within the staff regarding curriculum and practice. At this point, I think the principal just doesn't want to deal with it. It's a very poor choice on the principal's part, because it really does affect the teaching that students receive. The most I can do is ask my union chapter leader to bring it up during their meetings.
WriteTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Faculty meetings
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We usually have a faculty meeting once a month, usually on Wed. But some months the principal doesn't really have anything to discuss, so the meetings are cancelled. But we also have instant messaging on our teacher computer's and in-house e-mail, so often we get notices of things one of those two ways. Our secretary is wonderful about sending messages--everything from "tell Johnny to ride the bus to Grandma's" to "the Schwann's man will be here after school if you want anything" to "copy machine is down-repairman coming after lunch"... Also, the principal can/has called meetings by grade level to be held during our conference/planning period.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ours are scheduled the second Tuesday of the month. It's called Late Start and the kids come an hour late and teachers meet.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Yes
Old 08-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Every Tuesday as needed. My grade level team meets every wednesday for planning and then one other day those of us who teach the same subjects meet to get more I'm depth.
sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgracorn

3 a month
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

principals in our district are allowed to have three meetings a month after school on Tuesdays for an hour. Our old princ made sure she didn't go over. I'm getting a new one this year, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that she has less

2ndgracorn is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 08-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We are required to have them once a month, but there is a limit as to how long they can go. I don't mind them because it is the best way to get information out to everyone and have a chance to discuss and make decisions.
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Staff meetings
Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have whole school staff meetings once a month at 7:30 am (school starts at 8:50) We have grade level meetings twice a week, once for planning and once to review data.
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

mommazat

STaff meetings
Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

every week and grade level planning 3 times a week. Lots and lots of meetings.
mommazat is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Too many!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We have one almost every week, and they are mostly useless. Our P. Is crazy about meetings (and I'm not)!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv2lrn

weekly and then some
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We have a meeting every Tuesday. We also have grade level meetings and data team meetings weekly. The meetings are contractual, so they are pretty much non-negotiable. We are also expected to be on a committee. Committee meetings usually occur once or twice a month.
iluv2lrn is offline   Reply With Quote

chery

twice a month
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We have grade level meetings weekly and bi-monthly staff meetings. The second meeting of the month is supposed to be about curriculm or Professional Development
chery is offline   Reply With Quote

newoldteacher

Why not email?!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Our P. is telling us that EVERY week we'll have faculty meetings. NO consideration for any family time/obligations. So much of the drivel could be sent in an e-mail. Day four of school, today, and we had a fac. mtng. NOT ONE mention of anything related to opening of school, i.e. scheduling, bus routes, etc. NOT ONE!
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kirbyjack

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We have staff meetings every Wednesday after school, and everyone is expected to attend (in our contracts). We also have a Lit meeting every other Tuesday, and planning with our Pod every Thursday.
kirbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote

cal33

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our staff meetings are almost every week. We also have grade level meetings weekly.
cal33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Considering myself lucky
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Our principal sends out all the crap reminders & boring stuff through email so that our monthly staff meetings can be used for professional development. this year we will have meetings all day on the first Weds of every month. The morning will be the staff meeting and the afternoon will be our RTI tier meetings and grade level collaboration. So if you're not in a tier mtg, you're collaborating with grade level. We have a program called Discover Days and they will bring in community volunteers to run different stations for the students with para monitoring while the staff can do our stuff. I'm not saying we don't have the before or after school meetings, but we're trying to limit those.
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

Meetings
Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We have Faculty meetings once a month. I also have a team leaders/department heads meeting once a month. Now it seems that every 6th day we will have a learning team meeting with our grade level as well as a memeber of administration - so that could be up to 3 LTMs a month.
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunny Reader

Monthly
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We have staff meetings monthly on the first Wednesday of every month. We have team meetings weekly for collaborative planning. Team leaders have a meeting once a month. They send their team the notes from the meeting so we all know what is going on.
Sunny Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We have a staff meeting on the first Monday of the month. If there isn't much to discuss, the meeting might be short. My principal also sends a lot of information via email throughout the week.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We have weekly staff meetings---on Monday mornings, no less! Frankly, most of them are a waste of time and the information given could just be sent to the staff in an e-mail. Most of the meeting is spent on the week's schedule which frankly I would rather just read on my computer than have someone read it to me in a meeting.

I think a monthly staff meeting AFTER school to address problems/concerns/new ideas would be much more productive.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote