Help

First Grade

Any suggestions on how to improve classroom mangement

>

bigsmile37

Any suggestions on how to improve classroom mangement
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my classroom I am using the stop light method. I also use the 5,4,3,2,1 method to get the students to pay attention. But lately ,the students don't seem to want to listen and I'm not getting all of their attention. Any suggestions will greatly help.

bigsmile37 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovebug422

Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All I can say is be painfully consistent and patient. Whatever your quiet signal is don't start giving directions until they are ALL listening. If even one starts talking you say something like "I'll continue once everybody is listening". You may have to say this 10 times...DO NOT talk over them. DO NOT ignore those who are talking while you are talking. You may not get through everything you want to in a day...because you are constantly waiting for everybody to listen to your directions. You start to feel like a broken record...you start to feel sorry for those who ARE listening to you...start slow so you can move fast later.
lovebug422 is offline   Reply With Quote

weimlvr

behavior mgmt
Old 10-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am having the same problem this year. I'm teaching and the class drifts off and starts talking etc. I write RECESS on the board. When I have to stop and redirect the entire class, I erase a letter. If I erase the entire word... no recess. I tell them that if I have to erase the whole word, they have obviously had their "free" time during the day and I need their recess to finish teaching...
weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

panda5

Classroom Management
Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Rick Morris at www.newmamagement.com has a lot of really great ideas...
panda5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anniebanannie

smartclassroommanagement.com
Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

smartclassroommanagement.com has some of the best articles I have ever read. I am a veteran teacher and I still read it and follow it. You can sign up for weekly emails. I agree with panda5 about newmanagement.com too. Our school uses the clip chart system school wide and it has been very effective.

anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote

tamukgrad09

Group point system
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have my desks set up in four groups (hence the four colors). Whenever a group is doing a great job (working quietly, clean desks, following directions, etc.), I give their group a point. I can also take a point away from that group if they're doing things in a negative way (talking too much, not working, messy desks, etc.). This system has really worked in my class. This picture is from last year. This year I wrote the numbers on the plates up to 12 just to make it a little more achievable for students to win a group prize. I told the kids that whichever group wins that they can eat lunch with me in the classroom and that I'll buy them all a snack from the cafeteria. They are all sooo excited!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
tamukgrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

wholebrain teaching
Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It used to be known as Power teaching, but I use much of it and it works wonderfully for me.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

lissamissa

Check out
Old 10-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

the proteacher magnolia room for some responsive classroom ideas - they have worked great for me!!
lissamissa is offline   Reply With Quote

JoelAvamom

Clap
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have seen teachers who clap a pattern and the kids echo it or say a-o and the kids respong 0-a. Both of these semm to work for them. I use "the signal" Which is mouths quiet, bums on seats handds folded toether on desk top showing me they are ready. After about a week they are so good at it, i have the grade two teachers say I can always tell who was your student... they always sit so ready to go when it is time to leave the classroom. Demand it, don' waiver or get lax with it.

i might try the clap thing at carpet time when they are not at their desk. I also find the quieter you talk the better
JoelAvamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Green1

Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not sure what the 5,4,3,2,1 method is? Do you count down and they have to be quiet by the time you get to 1?

Anyway - try blinking the lights - to quickly and easily get their attention (maybe can't hear you otherwise) - my students know when they go off - they are to freeze and listen for directions. My students are doing well with that this year but last week did not get silent quick enough and so we practiced a couple of times.

Also, sometimes for transitions - I start a song - Dr, Jean has some good ones and they join in and then I have their attention without having to call out or call over them.

Sometimes, for particularly challenging students/groups, we have additional practice time during recess. I HATE to have students lose recess but if they are doing things that prevent them from learning, they have to practice how to do better at a time of the day that does not take away from learning time. (Although I know recess is an important learning time as well).

By now, my students know that learning time is sacred time.

Finally, perhaps reflect on your schedule - are you expecting them to be silent and listen too much? Maybe intersperse partner work/group work so they can talk while learning. Also during whole group discussions, when ALOT of children want to share their thoughts, I take a few minutes and allow EVERYONE to tell their neighbor the thought they want to share. This helps too.

Good luck - - -as I'm sure you know, some years you just have a "chatty" group!!

Green1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jessicamae3

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Tootsie Roll Lollipop,
We've been talking now let's stop.
They chime in and finish it and are ready to listen.

I will also not talk over them
I wait.
I will also say, I am sure you do not mean to be rude and disrespectful, but when you are talking while I am teaching you are being rude and disrespectful to everyone.
jessicamae3 is offline   Reply With Quote

thedawnfire

Attention Getters
Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My class is particularly chatty this year! The ideas above are great.
I also say, "Everybody stop! Hands on top!" The students stop and put their hands on top of their heads. This gets attention....especially when they are working and distracted.

I count down from 10. If I get to zero and they are ready, the class gets a tally mark on the board. If they are not ready, I get the tally mark. At the end of the day, who ever has the most tallies wins. If they win, they get a sticker or stamp on their hand or an extra 5-minute game or song or something simple like that. They like the competition.

I have also used bubbles before. If they are ready when I get to zero, I blow bubbles they can pop. Rules: bottoms on the floor. Only hands reaching for bubbles.

Instead of taking recess, I give laps around the playground. I start with 2. If they are good I subtract some. If they aren't, I add some.
thedawnfire is offline   Reply With Quote

michris43

same for me
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been having the same trouble with my students. It is a difficult class and I just had it yesterday. Today I went in and we went back to the basics-we practiced lining up, sitting on the rug and at our desks... When someone did not do the correct behavior, they practiced it during recess. It was a long day, but I held on and was consistent and firm. I will be like this for awhile until things get to where they should be.
I also count to 3 to settle them down. If I get to 3, a marble comes out of their marble jar. If I don't get to 3, a marble goes in.
So far so good!
It is exhausting!
Good luck!
michris43 is offline   Reply With Quote

HeroHusky

Attention getter
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've tried many great rhymes and songs, but one that always seems to keep them interested is "hocus pocus" (teacher) "everybody focus" (students repeat)...I have my 2nd graders mock using binoculars and freeze in place. We live in North Pole, Ak so FREEZE is a familiar term.
HeroHusky is offline   Reply With Quote