Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

rental property question

>

Kare3A

rental property question
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

DD's boyfriend recently moved into an apartment. It's a house that has three floors, with an apartment on each floor. He is on the bottom floor. Half of the apartment is below grade. The living room area has flooring similar to linoleum, maybe vinyl.

When he moved in the beginning of June, he and his roommates noticed some mold and moisture in the corners. Over the past week, our area has received about 4-5 inches of rain. Now there is water seeping up through the flooring. They are running a dehumidifier and using towels to mop up the water.

They have complained to the landlord, but all she has offered to do is wash their towels that are sopping up the water! I told DD their electricity bill is going to skyrocket due to the dehumidifier running 24/7.

My question: What rights do these renters have? What is the landlord responsible for?

Thanks for your help!

Evergreen

Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They need to contact their town to find out what their rights are as renters. I would imagine that the landlord refusing the take care of the water removal and treating the mold would be grounds for them to break the lease without penalty-which is exactly what I would do. Mold is VERY dangerous.

EarthMonkey

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe that they would be able to break the lease and move; however if the landlord wishes they might have to fight it through the rental board if the city has one or in court. It depends on the rental rules in the area.

I would advise moving. If the landlord is that irresponsible it will not get better. It will be a constant battle.

2nd in TX

Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In Texas, the landlord would be required to remedy this, and I'm sure it would be the same in your state (at least it should be, since mold can make people very ill). Good luck to your daughter's boyfriend, what a terrible situation!