Title I Information Meeting/PAC Meetings? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title I Information Meeting/PAC Meetings?

>

3monkeys

Title I Information Meeting/PAC Meetings?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new Title I Reading teacher servicing PK-3rd grade. I am wanting any information/suggestions/plans for Title I Reading Information Meeting/Workshop and PAC Meetings.

At our school, the Title I Reading teacher normally holds an informational meeting/workshop during our school's open house which is a few days after school starts. The Title I teacher then shortly thereafter holds PAC meetings (morning/afternoon/evening) during the following week.

What do you normally have for the parents during the informational meeting? What kind of agenda do you have for the PAC meetings? Any and all information and help would be appreciated! Thanks!

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Pac
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is an acronym we don't use so I don't know what you mean by it. Explain please??

Our parent meeting is at fall parent teacher conferences. We go over what title is, who we can help, sort of clarify how kids can come and go, depending on their needs. We also show and tell some of the activities we do...briefly...and give parents hints and advice on what to do at home.

Hand outs are good and food is terrific.

Hope this is helpful.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

PAC/ informational meetings
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

PAC stands for Parent Advisory Council. I'm surprised you don't have one of these. At this meeting we go over the Parent Compact we've had the previous year and ask for parent input to revise. Each parent/child is supposed to sign this as well as the teacher. This is something we are required to do.

Our informational meeting is much like LaVerne's school. This year we hope to add an explanation of a parent buddy system. Many of our parents last spring said they'd be willing to attend/answer questions new Title I parents might have.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

No PAC
Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nope, don't have one of those. Our school and district is still targeted assisted, even though this year we could have gone school wide. We are in the middle of new superintendent, newer principal, and newer curriculum director, implementing RTI on year 2, aimsweb and compass learning. The admin thought there might be just a few too many changes going on to switch to school wide...do ya think??

Getting our parents involved is a real struggle for us...I wish that we had a PAC but the parents seem content just to let things flow as is....

Thanks for the info.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

alajmr6

PAC meetings
Old 08-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our first PAC meeting we do a presentation that explains what Title I is and what it looks like in our school. We answer questions they may have, collect contact information, etc.

These meetings are also a good time to share tips for helping their students with homework, or working with teachers, etc.

alajmr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. McBloom

Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We always include food! We used to have a parent breakfast, but due to scheduling, cost etc it has changed to ice cream social. This is relatively inexpensive and fun!
Last year, we combined by having an author visit . We have 4 elementaries which are all targeted assistance. Parents pick up their children at school and we meet at the high school, which is centrally located between the elementaries. The meeting is held, author speaks and then ice cream sundays are made. It usually only lasts 1 1/2 -2 hours. We used to bus the children from school, but again, due to cost that was discontinued.

We have held parent nights where we have brief meeting and then break into mini sessions. One year was reading, another math. Again, all 4 schools combine. that way all the title teachers can be inolved. We broke the parents/ children into age levels and worked on activities that the parents could do at home. We had many positive comments.

As far as the business part of the meetings, the title coordinator ( principal) does a powerpoint at each of the building open houses. Introduces staff and shares state level test results. At each PAC meeting parent compacts are discussed, any policies are shared, complaint procedures are discussed. ( all these are required for our state Title 1 auditing)
Mrs. McBloom is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgtchr8

PAC Meetings
Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have 4 PAC meetings a year. Our first meeting focuses on NCLB and our performance on the End of Grade test from previous year. (This meeting is required by our county.) In addition, we discuss what parents can do to help their child.
During the rest of the year, we may have informational meetings for parents or Make It/ Take It sessions, and an End of the Year Celebration. In the past we have: (1) discussed reading aloud to your child and how to make this an educational and enjoyable experience, (2) informed parents of what type of decoding & comprehension strategies we teach our students and how the parents can assist at home, and (3) had an End of the Year Celebration where the students read to their parents. And at this same meeting, we suggested different types of games they could play at home during the summer months. We have had many Make It/Take It sessions. Recently, we had the students color a game board and write high frequency words on cards (prepared ahead of time). We provided game markers (flat marbles) and dice (purchased at the Dollar Store). The students received directions for the game and they played it with their parents at the PAC meeting before leaving for home.
At each of our meetings, we try to provide the parents with something they can do with their child at home - whether it be a bookmark with strategies, a handout of suggestions, a couple paperback books to read to their child, etc. because we want our parents to be involved in their child's education.
rdgtchr8 is offline   Reply With Quote