Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Kindle vs Nook

>

freckleface

Kindle vs Nook
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, I know this has been posted a lot before, but I haven't really paid much attention!

Which one is better? And why?

My DKs want to give me one for my birthday!

Teachinnj

Nook
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love my Nook. I love being able to download any book from Barnes & Noble. HUGE selection!!! I don't know too much about Kindle. Look up the vs on google. Good luck and enjoy!

Kare3A

Love my Nook!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't give you specifics, but before my sister gave me my Nook for my birthday, she really did her research on both the Nook and Kindle. Her son has a Kindle, but her two daughters have Nooks. I love my Nook!

Last edited by Kare3A; 08-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: typo

yankees21

Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I asked the same before and everyone came back with Nook. The color one is supposed to be amazing!

fish2

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got a Kindle because I wanted to read by the pool and the glare on my iPad was bad. I have the Kindle app on the iPad and have loads of books. I got the Kindle with Special Offers (the $114 one), and that thing is going to pay for itself sooner or later - got a $20 Amazon card for $10, $20 off a GPS, $1 CD download, $10 Amazon GC for buying books from a list (stuff I was going to buy anyway) - that one twice. Pretty good offers - they are only on the screen saver and a small box on home page, not in books at all. Loving the Kindle.

Valone

Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I WANT a Nook, but Kindle is the only one that reads books. I asked the woman at B & N if the Nook had any plans to add that and she got quite snotty with me. So, right now, I guess I will stick with my audio books on my MP3 player.

Jade

Nook Color
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like my Nook Color. The only drawback is that the battery life isn't all that great. I'm charging it up every couple of days. It is also a little heavier than I'd like. We don't have a Barnes & Noble store here, so had to drive 100 miles to get it.

I chose it over a Kindle for a few reasons. One being that my library has digital books I can download and at the time I got the Nook, the Kindle did not have that capability. I think that may be changing.

I liked having internet access (wifi so I have to be near a router) and I liked the color aspect of it.

I don't like that electronic books are often more expensive than the printed books. I don't quite get that. But I like being able to instantly get whatever book I want. There are also free and inexpensive books, although many of them seem to be worth what you pay for them!

So, despite the drawbacks, I am satisfied with my Nook Color and am not sorry I bought it last March!

bGracie

Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a Nook. I love borrowing e-books from the library with it. I have the Nook First Edition because I don't need color on it. You might look into the newest Nook. It's called Nook Simple Touch. It looks really good.

Readingal

Nook
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love my Nook!

I check out digital library books all the time. I love bn.com. You can lend books to other Nook owners. So cool!

I have the original Nook with e-ink. I didn't want the backlighting that the color Nook uses. I can read in bright sunlight with no glare at all.

Proxi

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know this wasn't an option, but I have a Sony E-Reader and since then all of the rest seem to be cheap in terms of quality.

trasie

I love my First Edition Nook
Old 08-17-2011, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

but my two DILs love their Kindles. So I'm pretty sure you'll love whichever you end up with.

It is nice being able to borrow ebooks from the library. That is an option supposedly coming for Kindles in September. If your library doesn't offer them you can join another library for a nominal cost. (I recommend the Free Library of Philadelphia.) I don't notice the battery life on my Nook, so for me it's not a problem. Likewise no problem with glare. I frequently read out on the deck or by the pool. I do recommend looking into the SimpleTouch. Why not check out the new features? You might want to check all of the Nooks out in a B&N store or even attend a Nook class at your nearest store if possible. That is another nice thing about a Nook, you can go into the store for help any time they're open. They have always been very helpful to me.

You might tell your family about the Barnes & Noble ebay store where you can buy refurbished Nooks. I bought mine there on special for $79.99 nine months ago and haven't had a bit of a problem. They have the same warranty as a new one and if anything happens to a Nook under warranty that's all they'll replace it with anyway. DH informed me that he has even seen the Nook Color on there! I think he said it was $199. I don't know if that was a special or the regular ebay price, though. They do run specials frequently so if interested, check the site often. The specials don't usually last very long.

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have been researching both for forever and STILL can't decide which one to get.

yesteach

Nook
Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just bought a Nook color. I bought the Nook because I like the wi-fi, and I liked the fact that I can go sit and have a cup of coffee at B&N and read books for free (just like you can take a regular book off the shelf, you can take a digital book and read it while you are there, for up to an hour per day.)

I also like that it's backlit, because it allows me to read anywhere without having to have a light.

I agree that it is a little heavier than the Kindle, but I'm so bad about losing things, I like the "weight" because then I realize if I don't have it in my bag..

I just ordered myself this lovely cover for mine
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE