Help

First Grade

Early finishers

>

weimlvr

Early finishers
Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you have students that finish their work early do?

weimlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Doesn't happen often
Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

because I use Daily Five. But say, if they finish a math page early, I tell them to explain something new they learned in math recently. I just have them use the margins of the page or any available white space. After that they can go to the carpet and quietly read a book.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

make a poster....
Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in the process of making a poster for my room- the kids are helping me add items to it. It is entitled: Early Finishers Can: 1)Use their Doodle pad (each student has a blank sketch book in their desks to color in- they brought 2 to school I put it on their supplies list)2)Read a classroom library book 3)use scratch paper (old leftover worksheets/extras)...I will add to it as time goes on..I'll add 4) make me a book (I have blank 4 page books - I had a parent cut and staple a reem of photcopier paper into books for me) 5)start your homework, 6) write your spelling words...etc.
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

yankees21

Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I let them read quietly, write in their journals (of course in the beginning it's more pics than writing) work on handwriting, write about a book. Depending on the subject and the time, I let some go to the Listening Center or other center activity.

I use Every Day Math, so sometimes I'll let them play a MAth Game. Also, I have some math word problems for advanced students.

Centers take a lot of training about rules and behavior, so that's usually later in the year. To start I use the first activities that I mentioned. I have a large class, so sometimes that's it!!!
yankees21 is offline   Reply With Quote