Help

Third Grade

Angles

>

Elmsprings

Angles
Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm beginning a new topic in math this week. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about how to introduce /teach/ or allow practice of angles? I'll be teaching about acute, right, and obtuse angles. Thanks for any ideas....

Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

Peppermint P

Peppermint P

angles
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I think I found this idea on proteacher so you may want to archive. I tell the class the story of the Angle family: Daddy Mr. Obtuse Angle, Mommy is Mrs.Acute Angle and daughter/son is Righty-right Angle. They draw each angel on construction paper then turn them into faces--they add hair from yarn and earring , necklace to Mrs. Acute Angle, a hat and moustache to Mr. Obtuse Angle, etc.
You could let them turn them into animals or anything they want!

MiamiEm324

Practice in hallway
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of my favorite things about teaching angles is how easily it can be reinforced during that "dead" time in the hallway while waiting for specials or a bathroom break.

Early on we do a lot of practice with forming different angles with their feet. If you have tile floors it is easy for them to make a perfect right angle. Then I give them series of directions (ex. "lift your left toes and move them away from your right foot") and we form different angles. They have fun guessing which angle we will end up on and truly pride themselves on being able to stand in a nearly 180 degree angle without tipping over. Lol.

We also do "angle" hunts with different bricks, corners, posters, etc. in the hallway. We do this throughout our whole geometry unit with different shapes.

Any chance to use the angle language (and stay quiet in the hallway!) seems to really help! Many students also come rushing up in the morning or after recess to tell me about the acute angle they saw on the bus seat or the obtuse angle created by the swing. Gotta love it : )
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

Another Favorite...
Old 12-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We also do an angle hunt with the letters in our name. They use an index card corner to have an example of a right angle and then check the letters on their name tag for each angle. Somehow it always turns into a competition to see who can find the most obtuse angles... they get pretty creative.

Part of this may be due to the fact that we say "obtuse" like we are sneezing and refer to it as being an "obese" angle (as opposed to a "cute" acute angle). They love every chance to say "oooooobbbbb-tuse!"
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Straws and Twist-Ties
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The ideas I am going to give you are from Everyday Math. You will need straws and twist-ties.

Cut straws into three lengths...four inches, six inches, and eight inches. They are easy to store...I used rectangular Rubbermaid containers like the ones you would use for leftovers. I bought the cheap ones at the dollar store.

With straws, make a line, line segment, and ray.
--line...a straw with twist-ties that form arrows at each end
To form the arrows, fold the twist-tie in half and insert into the straw. Bend the twist-tie for form an arrow.
--line segment...just a straw with no twist-ties
--ray...a straw with a twist-tie at one end to form an arrow

To practice angles, each child will need two straws and one twist-tie. Be sure to show the relationship between a ray and an angle. (An angle is two rays joined by a common endpoint.)

To form the angle, attach the straws with the twist-tie by poking one end of the twist-tie into one end of the first straw and the other end of the twist-tie into the second straw.

Now the straws will rotate, so your students can create angles of any size. If you want, you can also use twist-ties at the other end of each straw to make an arrow.

Straws and twist-ties also work well to create two and three-dimensional figures.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote