Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Expecting...help!!!

>

yayteacher

Expecting...help!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wow. So we found out this morning that we are having a baby!! We weren't really trying, so it is still sinking in. This is our 1st, so I have tons of questions!!!!

1. If I got a faint line on a first response test, then a "pregnant" on a digital test, is it accurate?

2. What books do you recommend?

3. We plan to tell our family on Christmas. Any creative ideas? I'm still in shock and can't think!!!

4. I'm confused about timing.... I know when we conceived, but does the time start from there or the first day of my last period?

5. Any other advice?

I'm excited, scared, anxious, all at the same time! Thanks in advance!!

GraceKrispy

Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations!!! How exciting

Time starts from the first day of your last period in terms of counting months and stuff, if I'm remembering correctly. It sounds like you are definitely pregnant, a line is a line, even a faint line is a line

I really recommend "The thinking woman's guide to a better birth" and I am NOT a fan of the What to Expect series, but I'm sure there are many here who are. There is also a pregnancy week by week which is pretty cool with pictures of what the baby looks like at each week.

ETA: the weekly one I was talking about is actually "A Child is Born" by Lennart Nilsson. It's got pictures of what the baby looks like at various stages. Pretty cool.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 12-23-2011 at 04:56 PM..

mamacanteach

Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sure sounds like you're pregnant to me!

GraceKrispy is correct, time starts from the first day of your last period so when you miss your period you are 4 weeks pregnant. Google "due date calculator".

Many people choose to wait until they are 12 weeks or so along before sharing the news widely simply because the chance of miscarriage is relatively high until past 10 weeks and they might not want the whole world to know if they do miscarry. Sorry...long sentence! Of course a lot of people tell right away. Nothing wrong either way, just something to consider.

I actually don't recommend any books. They all made me a bit crazy! I gave up the books at the end of the first trimester when they told me I wouldn't be nauseous anymore and I was nauseous the entire pregnancy. I did sign up for weekly emails from babycenter and I liked them. They tell you how big your baby is, what's going on each week.

Enjoy this exciting time!

vateacher

Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1) congratulations! I got a faint line too. A line, is a line, is a line!

2) The pregnancy week by week book was a good one. We also had the what to expect book. Either one was fine in telling you what might happen each week.

3) We found out just before my mother's birthday and decided to tell her by putting the print out from the urgent care place (it said pregnant on it and a description with my name lol!) in a frame made for an ultrasound that said "now showing". They have them at Kohls and Babies R us. In your case you could put a slip of paper in there that said "coming soon" or something like that. Or wrap up a grandma/grandpa bib/onesie etc for your parents to unwrap.

4) They'll count from the first day of your last period but be warned that when my dr did that, she was still somehow 3 weeks off. We went in thinking we were 10 weeks and that there was something horribly wrong when they couldn't hear a heart beat... oops! we were only 7 weeks along. They screwed up the calculations big time.

5) Try and relax. Take those prenatal vitamins and enjoy every minute-- even the morning sickness! I had my baby 7 weeks ago and I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. Congrats!!!

learnalways

Congrats
Old 12-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Two books - Girlfriends guide to pregnancy and belly laughs. Every other book will make you crazy and scared. I agree with the baby center website to learn that your baby is a grapefruit this month, etc.

I think it would be cute to do a white onesie - take paint for shirts. Put Excited to meet grandma and grandpa or what not or due in September... They can unwrap it.

HiHoCherryO

Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congratulations!

AD

Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would say you are pregnant!

I don't recommend any books either. There are websites that will send you little weekly tips, etc...I think there's one on baby center? http://www.babycenter.com/memberbene...111224003636:s

Yes, it's the first day of your last period.

Congrats!

teach316

Congrats!!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What a wonderful blessing at a magical time! I was in your place two years ago, and I'm so excited for my daughter to celebrate Xmas as a 17-month-old (she was premature)

Pregnant is pregnant! If you want, test again tomorrow and the line will likely be darker and appear more quickly.

So, we also wanted to share the news with our parents on Christmas Day. I ran out to Target on Xmas Eve Day and got 4 onesies - one for each grandparent to open at the same time. Fortunately they had ones that said "Grandpa's Little Peanut" and "Grandma's Love Bug" in neutral colors. (If it's close to you, I would look at Babies R Us first. Target was just closer ) I wrapped them up and have every open them at the same time. It was so hard to be calm before we exchanged presents!

I'm so excited for you, and your post just brought back lots of special memories to me!

dhzebra

Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

9 Months To Go
by Joann Richichi

she is my dr and I found her book informative and humorous

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

CONGRATULATIONS!

Nancy

yayteacher

Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For all your info, ladies! Tomorrow will be such a special day for our families!