Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Move in day to the dorms...

>

Readingal

Move in day to the dorms...
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, I've gotten a lot of great advice about what to buy for my DS for his dorm room. I've been having fun shopping! Now, does anyone have any great advice about the actual move in day? My DH will not be able to come and help so it will just be my son and me. I really want it to go smoothly. But its all new to me. He won't be moving until Sept but I'm trying to wrap my head around it now.

Thanks!

teachnkids

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Bring as many sets of hands as you can!!! Usually they give you a short time period to get the car unloaded and move your car so someone else can have a close spot. What we did that worked well was to empty the car at the curb; then DH moved it; next he and DD made trips to the room while I stood with the piles. Bring a cart/hand truck/etc to load as much as you can in one load. If there is an elevator it will be very popular, so we tried to go at the beginning time of check in to avoid too many lines.

aksuz

Check and see
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check and see if the University has any special policy for moving into the dorm. There are some no nos for dorm rooms. At the university my daughter attends they supplied all of the furniture including a desk lamp. Check and see what they already supply.

When I took my daughter to college. The freshmen got to move in two days early. There was a bunch of older students dorm staff there to help carrying things in. It went very fast and easy.

website with a list

Good luck!

starfish92

Call the school
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and ask about move in day. At dd's school the freshmen were helped by the upperclassmen. The next year while she was checking in my dh unloaded the car and I stayed with the piles. We took the service elevator up.
I would try to make the "bundles" light if you have to carry them, sometimes more trips with lighter stuff is easier.

patch41

Moving In
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd definitely find out what to expect from the college on Move In Day...if there will be helpers there, if you'll be given some type of dolly or bin to move his stuff in, where you're able to park, etc.

Get their EARLY! If you don't live nearby, get a hotel for the night and be first in line.

If you can bring helpers (siblings, cousins, neighbors) to come along and help, the more hands the better.

Bring lots of cleaning supplies...those rooms can be dirty.

My sister had a GREAT idea when her kids moved in. She made a huge plate of chocolate chip cookies and offered them to everyone who went by. Her kids met a ton of kids because of the cookies!

mom23kids

Yes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Get there early, before his roommate so he can choose which bed he wants! All the ethernet..is that what it's called..will have to be set up by him or you.

heatherk

Handtruck!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will be moving my sister in soon. Her college actually recommended coming later (like after 11am) on move in day. I guess so many people do the "get there early" thing that it gets really crowded. There are only a handful of parking spaces near the dorms and if you can get one, you get it for 30 minutes.
We bought medium sized boxes from Lowes, so they are all the same size and we can load them onto a handtruck to get them from the car to the building. Of course, we will have to haul them up the stairs to her 3rd floor room. We might have to park really far away, so hopefully this will save us.
The other plan is lots of water, since it will be 85 degrees outside.
Good luck!

Ima Teacher

Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Buy, borrow, or rent a dolly!

My dad had one already, and I packed everything in boxes. We just stacked stuff on the dolly and had everything into my room in three to four trips.

I still remember passing a family carrying everything by hand, and the dad looked at his daughter and said, "Now there's a man who's done this before!"

If you have one that has the fat air-filled tires, it will go up stairs if needed. I lived on the second floor of a four-story building with no elevator. The hard-wheeled dollies wouldn't go up the stairs. The other went up just fine.

KC14

Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with others - check with school. We had a set move in time. I am sure it can be fairly flexible but it is a big school and they do that to stagger the rush. Quite a few schools have a lot of help on freshmen move in day. We always brought a hand truck. Some schools have them available or big laundry type bins to move things around in. We move in and then head out for lunch and to Walmart or Target for extras that we either forgot or decided would make things more comfortable with the room set up.

We always brought cookies or cake - not so much to hand out to others while moving in (although I do think that is a great idea) but for an ice breaker later once we leave. It can be pretty emotional but stay tough until you get in the car on your way home! I am sure all boys are different but it can be pretty scary for your DS also. He may feel more comfortable if he is able to talk to roommates or other students going there ahead of time. DS1 did that but DS3 had no interest. He is normally pretty quiet but he went there that day and started talking to people right away. I think he was ready for a new start! Somehow they all make it. Good Luck!

catgirl79

Old 07-17-2012, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with everyone else, check with the college about move in day. Both of my sons in their freshman years had help from either upperclassmen or the football team! It was so nice, I actually had to stop them from taking my suitcase up to the dorm room!! Also, both of my sons went to smaller schools and everyone had unloaded their things from the vehicles onto the lawns of the dorms, moved their cars, then came back to take the stuff into the rooms- a tarp is nice to put on the ground if it is damp. Take small tools- screwdrivers, pliers- you never know what you might need- or what someone else might need. Make sure that the bedding and towelsyour DS will need are easily found. It's nice to make the bed up right away, then you know that his bed will be made at least once!! I also have spent the night before move in and left after moving in and getting lunch or an early dinner- unless there is an activity for your son to go to- then leave so he can start making friends! I've also gone out to eat with my sons' roommates and their families.

catgirl79

move in day
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with everyone else, check with the college about move in day. Both of my sons in their freshman years had help from either upperclassmen or the football team! It was so nice, I actually had to stop them from taking my suitcase up to the dorm room!! Also, both of my sons went to smaller schools and everyone had unloaded their things from the vehicles onto the lawns of the dorms, moved their cars, then came back to take the stuff into the rooms- a tarp is nice to put on the ground if it is damp. Take small tools- screwdrivers, pliers- you never know what you might need- or what someone else might need. Make sure that the bedding and towelsyour DS will need are easily found. It's nice to make the bed up right away, then you know that his bed will be made at least once!! I also have spent the night before move in and left after moving in and getting lunch or an early dinner- unless there is an activity for your son to go to- then leave so he can start making friends! I've also gone out to eat with my sons' roommates and their families.

SusanTeach

move-in day
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

They usually have luggage carts (like the kinds in hotels) to help with move-in day. Everyone just uses them and returns them when they're done. It goes much faster than you think. If you can't get one of those, just take what you can and make several trips. He shouldn't have TOO much stuff because there won't be that much room. We left all the Rubbermaid type containers there (in his closet and under his bed) for storage and to bring things home.

Oh - and make sure everything is labeled!!!! Put a piece of paper and/or tape on each container. Sometimes people from the college (they'll have nametags) will be there to help you and they need to know where to take it if you get separated.

Btw - I took a picture of my son in his room on his bed as a nice memento after we got him all moved-in. I wish I had taken a pic of his roommates too, but I wasn't thinking at the time.

crazy4catz

Move in day
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The college my boys attend was the best! I never carried a thing. They had a system and you basically let them do all the work. The guys move the car etc. and it was wonderful. Now we are getting ready to move DS into an unfurnished apartment and I know it won't be the same. Plus it is 110 degrees here. Good luck and check with the college as others have said.

Groovy Gal

move in to dorm
Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I, too, appreciate this thread as my DD is moving into dorms in August. She will be moving in a week early for a dance camp and my DH will be taking her. I can't go because that will be the first day of school.

We were thinking of packing her stuff in suitcases on wheels not boxes. For those of you in the know, what do you think?

Teddi9192

one trick
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

my dad used for all three of us. He took a broom handle and we hung all the hanging clothes on it. They were laid on top of all the other stuff in the car. Two people put it on their shoulders and in it went.

IA11

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Honestly, I guess the boxes would be easy with a dolly/hand-truck -- and then they could be folded down to store. A suitcase -- if it won't fit anywhere -- it won't fit! My dd had one for her freshman year . . . . it never went back!

To tell the truth -- to fit everything into our little, dinky car -- we had to pack clothing, bedding and stuff in garbage bags. . . they squish! Then, after unpacking -- we got a couple of cheap plastic containers for 'storage'.

Do check with the school. At dd's school, the local churches always have volunteers to help carry stuff in!

Have fun! Dd is a senior this year -- she has moved herself in for a couple of years now. . . .she says the only thing she has trouble getting in is the little refrigerator.

MKat

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We just took suitcases, he unpacked them right into his closet and then we took the suitcases back to the car. He just kept one duffle bag. In the spring, we took the suitcases back and he loaded them up again. We'll use the same cases/boxes for him again next Fall and then again for both he and his brother the next year.

If you're close enough to drive over to drop in the Fall and pick up in the Spring, it's pretty easy!

beachygrl

Different schools
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

have different policies, and on some campuses policies change for different dorms, usually because of parking issues. You've gotten lots of good advice. Here in Texas, a good size cooler full of water & sports drinks is essential, as temps can really soar, and the ACs can't keep up on moving days.

sonoma

small foldable dolly
Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It can fit under the bed and will come in handy on other occasions. Also, plan ahead. You might want to rent a unit at a storage center in town for all those things you want at school next year but don't want to bring home for the summer.