Help

Third Grade

How much time a day for reading aloud?

>

LQTeach

How much time a day for reading aloud?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love to read aloud to my students, but sometimes I just don't seem to have time. I'm trying to find ways to fit this into the schedule next year, on a daily basis.

How much time do you set aside for reading aloud on a daily basis?

LQTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read aloud
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It used to be 15 minutes. It is my favorite part of the day. Last year it got squeezed out way too often. This year I refuse to let it happen. However, I may have to be happy with 10 minutes a day. I guess that is better than no read aloud at all.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

finchfeeder

Ensure time!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I kept putting off Read Aloud and ended up missing my favorite book "Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" which is a crime. It won't happen again. Read Aloud is already in my lesson plans for at least fifteen minutes a day.
finchfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

20 a day
Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am lucky to have a chunk of 20 minutes between recess and specials this year. I had this same chunk of time a couple years ago and it was perfect for read aloud! This year I am going to also use that time for student run book clubs by reading a class book for read aloud for a few weeks, and then spending a few weeks doing book clubs, etc. Last year I felt like I struggled to find quality time for each of those literacy events, but I am hoping that by alternating them it will be better than trying to squeeze them both in for short time slots. They both focus heavily on comprehension and discussion, so I am hoping they will be a nice compliment to each other too!
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

15 or 20 min.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's what I do to make sure that I get read aloud in on a daily basis. I usually teach a cursive writing lesson & then have the kids practice in their workbook while I'm reading aloud. It works out very well for me. Sometimes I have them draw what I'm reading about (good for making mental pictures) or have them draw what they think might happen in the story. I also will pause at certain points & leave out a word. They say out loud what the word might be. This also keeps them listening.

jjwires is online now   Reply With Quote

runner77

I do 10 minutes before lunch
Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and read a picture book to my kiddos. I do it while they have bathroom break before lunch, it works out great because they love being read to so much I hardly have anyone use the restroom and never have behavior problems during this time because they are trying to go so fast to not miss the story. I also read from a chapter book, so about 15 minutes every afternoon before our last recess. Again, during a bathroom break time. I make sure to always do these two things every day no matter what... they need to see me reading, hear me reading, and seeing/hearing me make mistakes and know that it is ok. Plus, I love to perfect my voices for characters and they love it too. I have a really good Junie B. and Fudge impression... I have been asked to talk like them during lessons too!
runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote