Help

First Grade

where do u post your spelling/sight words

>

PUKO

where do u post your spelling/sight words
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Went to school today to start setting up....I wonder how y'all post your weekly spelling and sight words in your classrooms?

The past few years I used cute polka dot bordered dry erase 12x3 mini posters from Michael's, but it is not very easy or quick to erase them before the test... I'm thinking of just marking off a space on my front chalk/white board for the words (12 spelling, plus sentences, and 4-6 sight words) to make it easy to erase and update each week, but do I forfeit the space on my board? ideas?

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Target chart
Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi!
I've always posted mine across the top shelf of my computer desk. It's metal and my words are on magnetic cards. It's easy for the kids to see them all week. This year I am also going to post them in a dollar pocket chart from Target on the back wall so kids will have more access to using them during Daily 5 activities. I take down the word cards right before I pass out the test papers and use the cards to tell the kids what words to spell. This way I don't forget and leave them up during the test!
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1stteacher1st

Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use large spiral-bound chart paper and hang it from a chart stand. On the chart I post the weekly spelling, sight words, and phonics skill. It's nice because I can reuse it each year and I can wheel the chart stand to any area of the room where I might need it. My board space is very limited so this works well for me.
1stteacher1st is offline   Reply With Quote

marsha8083

Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I put mine on the Smart Board (Eno). Then I just pull them up when we need them.
marsha8083 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

spelling words
Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I put them on large index cards and hang around the room usually on the closet doors. I use the blue sticky putty. They are easy to pull down before the test and in front of the students just in case they figure out that looking at them and thinking about them will help with the test. I point out this possibility to them often.

I put the high frequency words on the word wall with a stick on star next to this week's words. Then I leave them there for the rest of the year because they are responsible for using them correctly. I pin a cheap plastic table cloth over the whole word wall during the tests.

I'm not sure what you do with your spelling words but the activities in ZooPhonics (even if you use other words) work well as do the On the Back activities recommended by Patricia Cunningham in Phonics They Use and Four Blocks activities.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have them printed out on tagboard, cut around the configuration of the word and glued to colored (yellow) construction paper. I put a velcro dot on the back.
Each week I put the words on a felt banner hung in the front of the room. At assessment time I just take them down. Then when the assessment is over the words go onto a large wall under the letter they start with. That way when the students write they must spell those words correctly, they need to edit their work for those words. They can find the word take it down, copy and put it back if they have a problem with distance copying.
The kids also love the visual of how many words they have learned. By the middle of the year I will mark with highlight tape or little hands, the words the class is still misspelling, so they can focus on practicing those.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote