Help

First Grade

first grade spelling list

>

marsha8083

first grade spelling list
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got through teaching a first grade class for the past 2nd semester. For their spelling, I used a spelling list from the former first grade teacher. The list seemed a little difficult to me.
I am wondering if there is a particular list that would be better than others or what ???? Where would be the best place to get a list for next year??? My reading series doesn't start spelling until later in the school year and I want to get them started at the beginning of the year.
Thank you!!!!!

marsha8083 is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

i create my own lists
Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would recommend starting with word families and then as your instruction moves along move into long vowels, blends, vowel teams etc.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Depending on your students
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it might be a good idea to start formal spelling later in the year and address how to use invented spelling at the beginning. Invented spelling is a great way to approach phonics and then add in formal spelling via lists later on.

I've used Zoophonics to great success. They have spelling lists and activities that can be used as centers or homework.
They start with CVC words and expand.

You might also want to look at Words Their Way, especially the workbooks which are much easier to manage than little slips of paper as originally proposed. They've adjusted to feedback. Words Their Way has a variety of workbooks aimed at different developmental levels which are determined by their spelling assessments.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Dolch words
Old 06-01-2013, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our first grade team uses the Dolch list for HFW. Our spelling program is from carlscorner.us.com - look under W.O.W. (words of the week) dolch spelling. She has an entire year of spelling packets for FREE. We have used her stuff for the last 4 years and the kids have done well with it.
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote