Help

Kindergarten

Help. Reading ideas

>

teacher_35

Help. Reading ideas
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you introduce, manage, organize guided reading and literacy activities? Ugh I am lost....

teacher_35 is offline   Reply With Quote

gintexas

You need two books....
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Next Step in Guided Reading and The Daily Five...they give ideas of exactly what to do.
gintexas is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Daily 5
Old 08-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Agreed. Daily 5 is a great resource!
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

nicksgirl

Try
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Daily 5 or Debbie Diller. I do a hybrid of them and it works very well for me. Start small. I'm sure they don't expect you to have 20 well run, well managed stations on the first day of school. It may take a few tries to figure out a system that works well for you.

But I can tell you that the first two weeks of school we work strictly on rules and routines during our GR time so that by the time I pull small groups everyone knows the routine. Of course, now that our kinder testing window opens on the first day of school and I'm expected to have 25% of the class tested each week, that may look a little different.
nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher_35

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you teach each daily 5 whole group or do 10 min. Rotations woth all?

teacher_35 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district requires that we follow our state literacy model. We have a 90 minute literacy block-30 minutes for whole group and then an hour for small groups. I have a modified Daily 5 with some Debbie Diller's literacy stations.

At the beginning of the year, we focus on learning routines and rules. I model and we practice, practice, practice and practice everything. We are building stamina and independence. It takes a while to work up to 20 minutes. It won't happen the first week. You will be lucky to get 3 minutes the first time you try it. Don't give up. Persevere. It will be well worth it later on. Check out stamina graphs.

During small group time the first week or two, I do individual assessments. After that, during small group time, I work with individuals and small groups on skills at the beginning of the year. When they are ready, it switches to guided reading groups-usually most of my students are ready to start by end of Nov/Dec. I have had some students who came to K already reading so I was able to start them right away. I've had others that it took until January.

When I am working with children, the rest of the class does Daily 5. I have three rotations. During each round, students choose which of the five components they will do. It is called Daily 5 because there are five components. Students don't necessarily do the five components each day. They pick 3.

You introduce one component at a time. Model. Practice. Build stamina. Then introduce the next component. It will take several weeks to get D5 introduced and running smoothly.The nice thing about D5 is that you don't need to have a zillion stations that you change out each week. Your goal is to have activities that the students can do independently so you are not having to spend time explaining new activities each week. For example, for word work, you might have students building words so the thing that changes each week would be the list of words the students work on. You could change the materials-magnetic letters one week, letter tiles the next week, letter stamps... I hope this makes sense.

Tweak it to fit your needs and what works for you. A majority of my students enter K not knowing letters and their names so for word work they do activities like letter sorts, letter matching-capital to lowercase...name puzzles, name building. For work on writing, they will use wiki stix and play-doh to make letters, trace letters, trace their names...

The two books mentioned by a PP are great resources.

I hope that I was able to help a little.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote