Help

The Job Search

I am so sad right now.

>

RedStripey

I am so sad right now.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got my fifth rejection today and it was for an instructional aide job, not even for a teaching position. I recently graduated/finished student teaching so I am very new to this but I can't understand how (and give a lot of credit to) people have been doing this job search for years. I really don't want to/can't afford to sub this year but it looks like that's what I will have to do to get experience.

I'm actually thinking about leaving education and pursuing something else. I'm also qualified to work in computers and I enjoy doing that but I'm a natural in the classroom and I know I belong there. My heart is broken right now.

RedStripey is offline   Reply With Quote

justdance

Don't give up yet
Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know it is hard. If you can sub, keep trying that. You will get recognized and recommended. Keep networking and apply for everything. I'm sure you have already, but getting to know the teachers, administrators, and secretaries is really helpful. Rejection is hard. How are your interviewing skills? I almost wish we could just do demo lessons rather than sit down interviews because showing them how we teach is what is most important.
Chin up, have your favorite beverageand move on.
justdance is offline   Reply With Quote

EduK5

Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay, first of all let me just say... "You JUST finished student teaching!". You can't possibly expect a job right away. I feel like that happens to the very lucky who were in the right place at the right time during student teaching. It took me a year and a half to land a long-term sub job, which then lead to my Part-Time teaching job, and finally 3 years after graduating and I have finally found a Full-Time Teaching job. I know it's hard when you need to work. I worked at learning centers, subbed, and even took an office position until something came my way. I always kept myself busy while on the hunt for the perfect position. If your passion is teaching, then keep trying. Don't give up!
EduK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Petey2000

Positions always come up
Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Positions always come up with mat leaves, medical leaves etc. Often positions come available in Sept. once schools have their final counts as they "see the whites of the eyes". It is hard, but hang in there. I do believe things happen for a reason. Regardless, in the end things always work out. Keep your chin up and be ready to go on a second's notice.
Petey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lurker87

Lurker87

Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think I remember you saying in one of your posts you're older. If I'm not confusing you with someone else, do you own a house? Maybe do a home daycare? You don't need a license for 5 or less children. It's more money than subbing and experience.

RedStripey

Lurker87
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm only 24 and I have no children and I still live with my parents. You are definitely confusing me with someone else.

RedStripey

Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Okay, first of all let me just say... "You JUST finished student teaching!". You can't possibly expect a job right away.
Thanks. I know and I knew that upon finishing student teaching. I'm just frustrated because so many of my friends who also finished student teaching have found jobs right away. And someone I know who did alternate route and has never worked with children in their life got a job in a school!! Meanwhile I've been working with kids half my life and working towards becoming a teacher since I was 8 and schools won't even look at me. Just bitter, I guess lol.

RedStripey

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm normally positive but I was just down before. That rejection call hit me hard...I was really hoping for that instructional aide job. The interview went really well and I'm totally qualified for the job. I guess I just wasn't what they were looking for.

My interviewing skills are good. I've gotten every job I applied for during high school and college. I know it'll all come full circle eventually. I'm just itching to have a career already and move out of my parents' house.

teacherinWA

"You JUST finished student teaching!"
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Had to say that again!

My suggestion is calling the sub office and asking if there is any long-term sub positions available and that you are interested. I got my first job that way.

I would also contact the district and offer/ask about helping or positions in technology. If you do find a job outside of the school market and feel that you want to stay in teaching I would try and volunteer in your ideal school. Even now you could offer maybe some professional development in technology to some schools. I know in my district technology is the new buzz curriculum.

Rejection is HARD especially if you are use to applying to jobs and getting them. That was me too before education. Every job I applied to I got. Now it is a lot of rejection and I have a lot of teaching experience behind me. It is hard not to take the rejection personal. Just keep at it and find ways to teach whether it is in the private sector or after school programs. Check out non-profit programs and after school programs. You might be able to sub and do those.

To get a recharge I will read old letters, teaching reviews or call a teaching friend who will give me a woo hoo about me as a teacher.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Are you limiting yourself
Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

... as far as school districts, geographical location, etc.? If you are young and single, maybe you can broaden your search.

beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

RedStripey

beachPatty
Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Nope!! I want to actually move out of NJ but I can't afford to do that until next year.

RedStripey

teacherinWA
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks! I should read all my evaluations from student teaching to cheer me up...they were all 4's and 5's

I actually work for my local YMCA and they offered me an after school position where I'd be helping the kids with homework, etc. and I also tutor part time. If I can do both of those things and sub I think I'll be okay.

SunShining

Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was in a similar boat. I graduated when I was 24 too and didn't necessarily expect to get hired right away, but most of my friends did. It's a tough situation and I feel you for wanting to move out and get your career going. I graduated two years ago and am still waiting (hence my profile picture of 'the waiting place' from "oh the places you'll go!') for that first teaching job! I've subbed, worked as a paraprofessional, and taught summer school. I've been on a total of 18 interviews and have nearly been hired before.

Please feel free to message me if you'd ever like to talk. You're more than welcome to. I also had some blogs during my job search if you'd be interested in skimming those. You may find we've had some similar feelings and frustrations. *hugs* Good luck and chin up!
SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I job searched for a year before I found my job. I did sub - and subbing did DIRECTLY get me my current teaching job. My advice to you is - SUB! Yes, you'll have to live on a tight budget for a while, but it really will pay off in the end when you land a job that you really want!
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You're young and have no kids to hold you down, and it sounds like you have contemplated moving... NJ and Pennsylvania are very difficult states to obtain a job in. I strongly disagree with people saying that "you just finished student teaching, you shouldn't expect a job right away". In certain areas, this is very true, but NOT in all areas- if you are flexible, you can make it happen.

I really wish someone had urged me to search in different areas sooner- I was living in a small town and couldn't get a job. I finally got tired of sitting around and not being contacted, and applied to the Northern Virginia counties. They are all huge, and ALWAYS looking for teachers. We draw in a lot of teachers from the NJ/Pennsylvania area. You can be within a few hours of your folks, have a job, and get out of your funk (I feel like everyone that has dealt with the job hunting process kinda hits a period of time that is really rough). Kids in these counties don't start until after Labor Day, so you still have time! I wound up getting a job and now 6 years later I'm still at that school. It's scary to take that leap of faith and leave everything you know, but will be worth it in the end. I actually just selected a teacher from Pennsylvania for my school, so there is hope If you have any questions about any of the Northern Virginia Counties, feel free to send me a message- I would at least apply to Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote