Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Toddler question

>

yayteacher

Toddler question
Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Hi all! I've never been around little kids so now that I have my own I find myself wondering if what he is doing is normal. He is almost 20 months. He knows his abc's. I mean he can say all the letters when they are signed to him in any order, but he also knows what comes next and will say the next letter before you sign it. He also can pick out letters if you ask him to find the 'a' for example from his letter blocks. He can also say the letter when you ask him what the block is. He knows his colors, too. He will sit and look at his books for 15 minutes at a time independently. He doesn't put 2 words together yet, but he understands pretty much everything you say to him.

Is this age appropriate behavior for a 20 month old? I just want to know what else I can do to keep him busy. Thanks!!

yayteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Toddler
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM

DS is 17 months old and knows/can identify 16 letters cold and 4 more most of the time. So that sounds normal to me. As does the reading. DS has been known to sit for a significant amount of time and read.

He has a variety of letter toys than he's fascinated with lately. He also likes it when I write letters for him to identify.

I'd say if he knows his letters, it's time to start counting.
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM

He sounds like he's doing absolutely wonderfully! There is a huge range of normal at that age, but your son sounds like he's ahead of the game compared to some others. He's benefitting from your time spent with him.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote
Anonfornow

Anonfornow

Great progress!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM

He sounds like he's doing great and probably a head of the curve. What about introducing letter sounds, shapes, and counting! At least that is what we are working on now with my toddler. I'm impressed with the independent reading....I could not get a few of my 2nd graders to read independently for 15 mins!!!!

mhugs

lets see
Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM

• my children enjoyed singing and dancing with me
  • scooping sand (noodles or rice can be used inside) small plastic containers, the kitchen funnel can be used
  • building with blocks (a basic toy all children should have)
  • tearing and gluing colored papers
  • wooden puzzles or sturdy cardboard puzzles
  • walks / stroller or wagon rides
  • swinging at the park
  • minimal TV, DVD's, ipad games
  • library visits/toddler story times
  • simple cooking-stirring, greasing pans

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM

I taught PK, K and 1st grade for 31 years and we got lots of ideas for early childhood play/learning in my early childhood classes. Here are some great educational toys and activities for toddlers and preschoolers:

Large puzzles
Blocks
Duplos
Toys he can use for dramatic play and pretending
Lots of age appropriate things so he can be creative - paper, crayons, washable markers, large paintbrushes and water, edible finger paint.....
CDs for singing and dancing, rhythm, etc.

There is so much we want them to know before they get to Kindergarten and creative play is just as important as learning letters, colors and numbers, if not more so. It increases language, motor and social skills and increases pre-reading and pre-math skills! Keep on talking to him, reading to him and playing with him!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

yayteacher

Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 01:45 PM

For all the replies and ideas! I have a lot of new things we can do over the summer now!
yayteacher is offline   Reply With Quote