Did you have a nuchal translucency ultrasound? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Did you have a nuchal translucency ultrasound?

>

NoElephants

Did you have a nuchal translucency ultrasound?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:12 AM

This is my next scheduled test in four weeks. I have been reading a lot of stories (and I know someone personally) that had this done and came back high-risk for abnormalities and then baby turned out fine.

I'm wondering if it is just an unnecessary worry?

NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

me41

Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Long ago when I was pregnant and was offered an optional test my doctor told me of all the mistakes possible. He then asked if what I heard would change my thoughts on maintaining the pregnancy. My answer was no, so I did not bother with the test.
me41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 09-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Speaking as someone who had the Nuchal test and it came back as showing an abnormality I can tell you it is necessary. Do you want to wait until you are twenty weeks along and discover something is wrong at that point at the anatomy scan? Finding out something is wrong with your baby is horrible trust me. However it is a thousand times worse to find out further along in your pregnancy. Yes it can come back as abnormal and your baby can be perfectly fine, unlike what happened to me. If you want skip the Nuchal test and get a CVS or amnio for a definite answer. I had a cvs with both my pregnancies. The first one was after the Nuchal test came back abnormal and the cvs confirmed what showed in the nt scan. The second time I skipped the Nuchal and had a cvs at 12 weeks pregnant and went on to have a healthy baby boy.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

mamacanteach

Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM

I declined the test with both my pregnancies. I was going to continue the pregnancy regardless. I figured hearing about a potential problem would only add stress.
mamacanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Yes, I did. I wanted to see the baby and I also wanted to know if there were any problems. That way, I could be prepared.

JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

yayteacher

Yes
Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM

I'm 15 weeks now, and just had my nt scan 2 weeks ago. They found a cyst on my baby's neck that is abnormal. The Dr ordered the maternit21 blood test to rule out downs or another genetic issue. The week of waiting for those results was terrible. This Monday I got my call back about my results and they are all negative for any genetic problem. And it's a boy!! We're still not out of the woods yet, we have another ultrasound this Monday to check the cyst to see if it's gotten smaller. I recommend the test just because I want to know and get all the information I can early if there's an issue. I had it done with my first son, too.
yayteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-27-2014, 01:57 PM

I've never heard of it, so I'm going to say no

For my first pregnancy, I had tests and was told there was probably something wrong with him. So months of worry and he was fine in the end. The next pregnancy, fewer tests. The third pregnancy, pretty much nothing but prenatal care with a midwife.

You really have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what works for you. If there are problems and you can find out earlier and prepare, but if there is a false positive, you can spend months worrying for no reason. I don't know which is best, honestly (unless you have a baby that requires immediate care and you can prepare for it, but that's very unlikely).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

My doc offered one,
Old 09-27-2014, 02:15 PM

But I declined. Being pro-life, I wasn't going to consider termination if there was something wrong with my baby and call be naive but I wanted to enjoy my pregnancy without worrying. I've also had too many friends receive false positives that I didn't want to cause myself undue stress. I knew that if something was wrong it'd likely show at the 20 week anatomy scan so I'd have time to prepare before delivery anyway.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I had it done with both my children
Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Both were high risk due to my being diabetic so I did it -- not knowing that there were frequent false positives. With DD, they saw that her stomach was not properly closed off (scared the begebies out of both my husband and I), especially seeing as how the nurse doing the ultrasound called in others to check it out. After the ultrasound, the Dr spoke to us and explained that at that point of the pregnancy it was perfectly normal for the stomach to not be completely sealed off. The following month at the next ultrasound they looked again and everything was just fine. DD is now almost 12 and no issues. We had the test done again with DS and no issues were found. They offered to do an amnio due to my age at that time, I declined as I knew of the risks and I wouldn't terminate pregnancy anyway. I would deal with the hand I was dealt. He was also born with no issues, other than another study I was involved in found that he does carry a genetic marker for diabetes which my daughter doesn't carry. But tests show no signs of diabetes as of now and he is 9.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bell_Ringer

NT scan
Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 PM

I had one with my twins because I was high risk and there was discordant growth. The scan showed that he had the physical markers for a chromosome defect. The MFM came in and told me how the baby would most likely die in the womb and if he was able to make it through the pregnancy would have a horrible, painful life and die with in the first year. She wanted to set up an appointment to "reduce my pregnancy" to one fetus. I could not do that. Later we got a blood test that showed he was fine. Everyone wants to "see the baby" as much as possible, but I would not get the NT scan again.

Bell_Ringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

what will you do with the information?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM

I've known more people who have gotten supposed horrific news, which shot their pregnancy happiness to sh**, only to be an oh it was a mistake.

I was pregnant at 39, had no prenatal care for 14 weeks, all my medical doctors missed the pregnancy until then, was horribly medical ill, had abdominal CT scan with contrast, and an upper and lower GI. Not to mention all the medication.

THEN they wanted to do all that genetic testing stuff. I wasn't going to terminate so why bother? I wanted nine months of happy, head in the sand bliss. And it was.

If my kid had something terrible, it would be found out on the ultrasound later on. My daughter is prefect.

I don't believe in just information for information sake. I wasn't going to change anything, and the fetus would have been too young to operate on to repair anything. I would have to wait for that if needed.

Knowing my kid would have trisomy 18 or Downs Syndrome, wouldn't make my emotions any less, and don't think for myself, would prepare me better.

I am usually, I want to know everything person. This was the only time I didn't.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Laurasusie

I am
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 PM

I am 11 weeks pregnant. I am getting one in two weeks.
The main reason I am getting it is to have another ultrasound and see my baby! I won't have another scan until I find out the gender at around 18 weeks.
You are right though, there is a chance that the results will say you are high risk and the baby is fine.
Laurasusie is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 AM

I've never heard of it and I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I did get a genetics blood test at 12 weeks since I'm considered high risk at the old age of 35 years old mainly because I wanted to find out the sex of the baby early, but it did test for abnormalities. My test was 99% accurate, according to the doctor. Not sure about the test you're getting...

I'd get it like PP said...to see the baby.
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote