Help

Special Education

disorganized student

>

Catielissy

disorganized student
Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a middle school student who is classified as OHI and has a goal on his IEP that requires me to document when he is bringing the correct materials to his classes. The problem is I am only in the building for two periods and don't have the opportunity to check in with him throughout the day. What I am doing now isn't working. Could you recommend anything to help students stay organized in each class without physically doing it for them? I'm not sure if a checklist would work as he seems to lose everything.

Catielissy is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

The goal
Old 03-19-2015, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps you could Amend the IEP (without a meeting) and rewrite the goal to be more measurable and obtainable? You could write it for those 2 periods or the most important ones that are the most complicated for him? A checklist that he would fill out would be helpful. He could turn it in to you for a positive reward.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

TEAM EFFORT - You could use the...
Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

para or general education teacher. I would give him an organization period at the end of each class. I suggest giving him a specific folder (either a color for each class or an expanding file folder with a section for each class) to keep all of his information in. At the end of each class, the general education teacher or para could signal for him to organize all of his materials he received from that period by placing them in the designated folder. (2-3 minutes most)

For the task of tracking if he has his materials, you could make a simple weekly "yes/no/NO -No opportunity OR + /-/NO) checklist for his teachers. They would circle the chart whether or not he has the materials needed for that period. If they didn't have him take out anything, then they would mark NO for no opportunity. At the end of the week, you could check in with him to see what needs to be kept at home for the next week and put that in a Keep at Home folder/section and what needs to remain in its designated folder/section.

Your goal should be written not to dictate a certain number of times. For example, he will have the materials needed for class in an average of 90% of documented opportunities - that way you are not limited to daily and he just has to have it 90% of the time).

I hope this helps! You can't take on the entire chore by yourself...it really is a team effort to help this student be successful.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

I had this kid last year!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I met with his classroom teachers and we created a sign off sheet that he had to take from class to class. He earned points for each signature he got on it, and every teacher had extra copies in case he lost it...which he rarely did since he had a special place in his binder for it and each teacher signed it and had him put it back where it went. It actually worked well, it had a place to check off that he was on time, had pencil, paper, book, etc. it required the cr teachers to be involved which took a little conniving, but ended up happening.
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote