Special Education

Sped resource vs Inclusion

>

MemphisSub

Sped resource vs Inclusion
Old 04-16-2015, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I have two new endorsements and one is is sped. I have not applied to any jobs because I want to know what the realities are...

What are the big challenges of the resource room, and is sped inclusion a better job position?

Thank you

MemphisSub is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

inclusion vs. pull-out
Old 04-17-2015, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I prefer to work groups both in and out of the gen ed class if I can work it out. If I don't do this, I tend to lose sight of what is expected in gen ed., the grade level curriculum, behavior, and the rigor of academics.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Leslier made great points.

I've not done a co-teaching inclusion, but I do think that most kids can hang in there given the proper supports. There will be some that resources is a necessity.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it's a personal preference. Personally, I hate doing any kind of push-in (inclusion) services. I feel like an aide and I find it incredibly boring. I purposely only applied to resource jobs and made sure to clarify in interviews that services were in pull-out settings. My dad is a sped teacher and does full inclusion and he prefers that to resource. He feels that his students benefit from being in the gen ed class all day. He admits to being a "glorified aide" sometimes, but it doesn't really bother him. I think some people go into sped because they really just want to help people, and people with that mindset tend to do better in inclusion settings. Personally, my heart is in instruction and I went into sped because it was the way to get an elementary teaching job in a very saturated market, so I would not be happy in a setting where I wasn't the one teaching.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherSeuss

Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This year our district has really pushed for more inclusion, however hasn't given us the time, resource or staff to do it properly, so I find myself missing my resource room a lot. Without the proper support and time to co-plan I feel like I'm just jumping in most of the time. And I hate to say it but it can be boring. When done correctly, inclusion can be a lot of fun for the students and the co-teachers!

TeacherSeuss is offline   Reply With Quote