Help

Special Education

Missing Resource

>

URMySunshine

Missing Resource
Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious how often you resource teachers miss your classes. Our resource teacher misses regularly due to IEP and other meetings. This week my kids will miss three days due to an IEP meeting and two days when she will be MAP testing. She missed one day last week because of a meeting. This is only our 3rd week of school. From what I understand this is very common, especially with this particular teacher. I wonder about the legalities of students missing so much.

URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

misscurlyj

Old 08-31-2015, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a resource teacher of 3rd-5th grade students. My IEP meetings are held before or after school so I never miss due to that reason. I did have to administer MAP to my resource students (as per their accommodations) and then proctor with our lower el resource teacher because she is new.

hiker1

Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes missing classes is out of our control. You need to speak to the case manager about it.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedLearn

Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is the schools responsibility to provide your teacher with a sub. We can't help missing students due to meetings. Many times, they don't get me a sub so I go through all that work making plans for nothing.

I'd ask your prince why a sub is not provided for your sped teacher.
SpedLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 08-31-2015, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My IEPs are always scheduled before school (but when the teacher report time is) or after school (before teacher's end time is). With regards to MAP testing, my students receive the accommodation of small group, familiar test administrator...so I proctor their MAP test and groups are canceled for the few days that it takes. No other school or district meetings trump my student's individualized, specialized instruction. I feel valued by my admin and treated just as equally as a gen ed teacher so nothing would ever cause a need for me to cancel a group for any reason.

misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 08-31-2015, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What meetings during the school day would cause you to need to not meet with students?

Haley23

Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This has been discussed here a lot. Technically, following the IEP minutes is a legal requirement, but at least in my state, no one checks up on that part. When we get audited, the state is only concerned with all of the paperwork being perfect. In a previous district I purposely over-scheduled the kids so I could make sure I was at least getting the minimum hours on the IEP met even with all of the disruptions. However, in my current districtwe're not allowed to do that.

We have a day dedicated to meetings and testing each week, so I don't miss often for an IEP meeting. However, it's also a legal requirement that you meet with parents at a "mutually agreeable" time, so if parents can't come in on our regular meeting day, we have to accommodate them. In my case they'll get a sub for the gen ed teacher but not for me. I do get a sub when I'm totally absent for the day, but many other resource teachers don't. If there are many teachers out and we're short subs, mine is the first to get pulled to cover a grade level room instead. I also don't get a sub for other meetings I'm required to attend, such as RtI meetings or data team meetings. This week I'll miss half of tomorrow and almost all of Thursday for data team meetings. Next week I'll miss half of Wed. for RtI and an hour or so on Friday for an IEP we had to reschedule. I'm also on the behavior crisis team, so any time a student is having a meltdown (which unfortunately happens a lot in my building) I can be asked to send my students back to gen ed so I can assist with the behavior student. I don't agree with this process at all and would 100000x rather be teaching, but it's not up to me. Even though my reasons for missing are 100% outside of my control, I guarantee you that at least a few of the gen ed teachers would jump at the chance to say I'm unreliable, lazy, get unfair "extra planning time" etc. People have no idea what I do all day.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I taught resource my situation was very much like Hayley's, only I never got a sub. The only time they brought in a sub for a resource teacher is if they were going to be out for more than two weeks.

I also could not over schedule. My principal told me that as long as I had a schedule that showed I was meeting minutes, he "did not care."

Resource teachers were also pulled to do things like "host" PBIS reward parties and sub for regular ed teachers.

I had to track how many minutes I actually serviced students too and none of them ever got their required minutes. I turned that paper work in every month and no one seemed to notice.

Don't get me started on the RTI kids who got put in my groups without going through the RTI process. ("Oh they are successful in a special ed group, they must need special ed services.")

I no longer teach in that district and now teach self-contained special ed.
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

ladyofcanyon

No subs
Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think it depends on the district but in the small ones I have been in, the resource teachers always had reasons to not have students. Not that it was their fault. They did not get subs for them when they had IEP meetings, were out for education or were sick. Never got subs. No one kept track of the resource times including the resource teachers.

The bigger districts are much more careful with this sort of thing. All resource teachers get subs and are required to not schedule meetings during student time.
ladyofcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

Meetings
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My job is much like Haley23's. I will have missed 4 hours at least of teaching this week due to both my own meetings, re-eval for speech only meetings, new student arrival with AU and an expired IEP. In addition, my husband had a medical procedure which caused me to be out a half day. I put in for a sub but it was never accepted. My parents seem to be more available during the day than after school when their children are home. We used to do meetings after school and we would loose people that have their own families and we were not able to focus after hours. I don't know about the rest of the Resource teachers, but I am overbooked in minutes even without meetings. I don't stop or sit down, and I eat my lunch standing up. My paperwork begins when the children go home. Most teachers are understanding and others just don't understand the demands. I am always searching to increase my time management.

leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Minutes
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I teach ELA resource for 1st - 5th grade, I do not miss any times to pull my students. IEP meeting are before school, after or during my plan period. That is illegal to not give students their IEP minutes.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am in a very small district and I don't miss time with students. IEP meetings are scheduled two or three weeks in advance and parent's are given three or four options for the meeting, and are able to make arrangements if needed so that they can come before or after school. My fourth and fifth grade students are encouraged to come to their IEP meeting as well. With the exception of providing MAP testing accommodations (as per their IEP), resource is not canceled. In the very rare time when I am ill, a sub is provided, even with a very limited sub pool. I think it all comes down to having good admin support and NOT the size of your district.

ladyofcanyon

misscurlyj
Old 09-02-2015, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am sorry and did not mean to insult small districts in general. I mean around where I live only. It does depend on the admin you are right.
ladyofcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 09-02-2015, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I didn't feel like you were insulting small districts. I guess this post has just made me continue to feel blessed to be in the situation I am in. I would really encourage those resource teachers that are finding themselves in a situation where they are constantly having to cancel meeting with students and providing their specialized instruction, to talk with admin and really advocate for their student's. These are the student's in a school who oftentimes need the instruction and support the MOST. During our first week of school, my resource students that had me last year were asking what their group times were; even though I don't pull during the first week. It just goes to show that they thrive on that consistency and routine and come to see it as something that they need.

GraceKrispy

Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I worked in a huge elementary school (over a thousand kids K-5). All referral, eligibility, and IEP meetings were held before or after school. There was almost never a reason for teachers to miss their time with kids. The few exceptions would be mandatory trainings (then there were subs) and the extremely rare time that a meeting would have to be held during school hours (seriously, very rare), and then other arrangements were made.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

As Hayley23 stated - when they "miss" their scheduled time, they are out of compliance with the IEP.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote