Help

The Job Search

thoughts on hiring younger candidates

>

Toby1

thoughts on hiring younger candidates
Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My sons' school has been known to hire younger candidates and student teachers over more experienced candidates. I don't understand that. I have been told that they don't cost the district as much, but I think quality vs. cheap pay should be the priority.
I hope the larger district I'm applying at doesn't have the same thoughts. I really want to change districts, but I'm not having much luck. Three interviews, but no luck. I have not even heard back from the last interview and its almost been two weeks.

Toby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SwissTeacher2

Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some schools also want to "mold" the perfect teachers. That rarely happens and ultimately they just pray that their youthful energy will make them effective lol

I do think that there's a difference between hiring student teachers vs new teachers in general. Hiring student teachers shows loyalty and a sense of "growing our own." Loyalty is hard to find these days in administrators and I think it's commendable. With that said, my first job was at a school that hires new teachers (not student teachers...no one wants to student teach there lol). It was a horrible school and I was miserable there.

I would encourage you to think that you are better off not working at a school that hires new teachers exclusively. There ARE administrators who see the value in experience and that is where you want to and WILL end up

Stay positive!
SwissTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ali'a

Try to be high energy in your interviews
Old 06-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The younger candidates exude energy and excitement about being there and getting a job there. Try to exude those feeling also.
Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Younger teachers...
Old 06-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Though is is not always true, younger teachera are more comfortable with technology. My kid's school just got Ipads for a two certain grades, and the new hires were twenty something whiz bangs who didn't even blink about the smart board, this...that..blah blah blah..

Plus who wouldn't want to hire a deep in debt twenty something grad, who will put up with abuse and nonsense because that loan payment comes every month? It's pretty hard to buffalo a 50 year old, easier if said person is 23 with limited work experience.

If the school can hire cheap, good with tech, young and easily manipulated, why not? If I can hire Mr. Perky who will work 14 hour days, do many after school obligations with minimal b*tching, is grateful to have a job, the administration can model him how they want. My 50 year old grumpy butt, not so much. I've been around the block. I'm not going to do everything for the glory of the job, because I've seen the carnage that happens when you burn yourself out.

You forgot good looking. This year new hires are "smoking hot". (parent comment on Kindie teacher). They are all extremely fit, perky and energetic.

Some schools have a look, and sometimes they hire to for that roll.

So glad I'll be done next year.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 06-10-2015, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My prince went through a period of years hiring new teachers only. She has learned the hard way this can backfire when they all started to marry and have babies. We currently have 4 teachers (out of 23) that will take maternity leave next school year and a few more 'trying'. One year, we had 7. Don't think the Superintendent is real happy. Last year, it was 3. Pahahahaha

starley is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Veteren Teacher vs Rookie
Old 06-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This was a topic of discussion when I sat on an interview panel we interviewed 7 teachers for a K position last summer. The candidates ages ranged from right out of college to 30 year veterans. Two older candidates sealed thier coffins whith the answers to two question. was.
Question 1-How will you use intervention data to drive instruction?
One lady flat out said she would not use data from intervention, to drive her instruction. She thought the distict spends too much money on intervention and flat out said she put the kids on the comuter, but never really looked at the data after benchmarks or progress monitoring? My P stopped listening after that. Question 2- How do you or how have you collorated with colleagues?
This teacher answered that she did her own thing, didn't like to share planning responsibilities. She would sit though team meeting, but don't expect her to really participated.

Sometimes older candidate come across as set in their ways and unwilling to adapt to the things that the district or P might mandate. We ended up hiring a new teacher right out of college. She mainly got the job because she said she was willing to learn from her team member, and she was willing to add her own ideas to make things easier for all.

Last edited by essence253; 06-10-2015 at 07:56 PM..
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Depends on jobs too
Old 06-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Being in special education I have found they tend to hire younger teachers for what they consider the easier resource positions (mainly kids with regular IQs and mostly in general education) and older teachers for the harder self-contained positions (more severe disabilities)

I do not mean to insult resource teachers but the job is perceived as easier by admins.
rosedemai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

about 7 pregnant teachers LMAO...
Old 06-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My kid's school's past principal hired only young and extremely good looking teachers. I'm talking distracting good looking.

Anyway...

After all the long timers baled because a less than great new union contract, the bulk of the teachers were 21-24 years old. Her school had a minimum of three teachers out on maternity leave each year for five years. This district runs the LT subs just long enough until the district has to pay a little wage jump, then they change subs.

My kid had 6 teachers within 2 years. Two teachers and the other 4 were long term subs.

That was a festival of fun those two years....

Tawaki

@essence253
Old 06-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I can not believe someone would say those things in a interview. Why shoot yourself in the head like that?

I got my job because the school was looking for an older teacher who used social media. Did I know much about Twitter. Nope! But that was a fast learning curve. Lol...

And I didn't care about getting text messages on my phone. Some how that had been a previous deal breaker for the other folks.

I understand why the school wants social media. Do I personally think it is necessary? *shrug* But my opinion really doesn't count when the 30 something principal is all a flutter over it.

When some blows a big hole in the interview, do you have to continue or just stop it and say thanks? I would rather have someone pull the rip cord than have them waste my and their's time.

essence253

Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
When some blows a big hole in the interview, do you have to continue or just stop it and say thanks? I would rather have someone pull the rip cord than have them waste my and their's time.
My P will continue the interview. There are usually ten questions and each question score on a 1-5 scale. The three with the highest scores are considered for the position,, Those scores have to be submitted to justify the hire. So if a new teacher is hired over an experience teacher, the score cards are used to cya.

essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

RedStripey

Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Where are all these magical schools that hire young teachers? I need a permanent job! Lol. I'm 26 so I guess I'm not THAT young anymore and I have some experience. Yet I still can't seem to find a job. Maybe it's because I'm average looking?
RedStripey is offline   Reply With Quote